Who are we trying to reach?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by William Warren, Dec 28, 2013.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

WW, I just do not understand why you think Encrypted Comms, is NOT a good idea for Prep'er Comms.... In the above thread, you seem to repeat that "Montra" over and over, and state that encryption makes the Comms "Brittle" whatever that means.... Comms Security is very much a Major Part of Prep'er Comms, and there are MANY ways to SECURE Comms, that require No Technology, at all. Just Brains, and practice. It is the same with Physical Security. You either can SECURE your own AoO, or you can NOT, and those that can NOT, are doomed to be overrun, when found. So most Prep'ers have Weapons, (tools) that they intend to use to keep themselves and their family SECURE. If they are Smart Prep'ers, they train with these tools often, to keep their AoO SECURE. Well it is the same with Comms. Since I live so far out in the Alaskan bush, local AoO Comms Security is of little concern, to "Me" since there are NO roads that go anywhere, within 250 Miles, and the only way IN, or OUT is by Plane or Boat. Yet, I still have SECURE local AoO Comms, as part of my Comms setup. I also have SECURE Comms in my HF Setup that I can rely on, anytime I might need to use it. When Momma deploys to Africa, she takes her local AoO Comms with her, as well as a SECURE Comms Setup, that requires No Technology, except a Pencil and Paper. With this Setup, we have SECURE Comms, if there are any CommLinks available, because the Security of the Link is NOT where the SECURE Comms comes in. The Security is in the Message itself, and can be passed over ANY unsecured form of Comms, (even smoke signals) without violating the SECURITY of the Message, itself. It could be you just are NOT up on the Technology, made available to Monkeys, by a dedicated Group of Monkeys, who have spent DECADES in the SECURE Messaging World and in SECURE Comms design. You just might want to look at, An Interesting, SECURE, Comm's Device, for your CN-AoO | Survival Monkey Forums as well as the other Thread, (MonkeyNet) I pointed out earlier in this Thread. These are simple, cheap, and virtually very SECURE Comms, that many Monkeys have deployed, and used, in their families, local Groups, and as Members of MonkeyNet. ...... YMMV.....

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  2. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

That's an interesting paper, and (as it happens), I have some expertise in cryptography and PKI. One-time pads are one of the oldest tools in cryptography, and they are used to this day in systems where the messages have extraordinary need for security: cost factors used in contract negotiations, for example.

I'd be glad to comment more on the white paper at the point where prepper comms and/or the MonkeyNet require secure cryptography, but I'm trying to start a conversation about who preppers should plan to communicate with, rather than any specific method of doing so once the network is set up.

My original question remains unanswered.

William Warren
    (Insert funny .sig file here)

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No, You just haven't been paying attention to the ANSWERS, that folks have been giving you.....
    The "Who" is really very simple:
    1. Immediate Family
    2. Extended Family, if they are part of your Prep'er Group.
    3. Your Prep'er Group, if you have one.... If not, then you are DONE with building out your Prep'er Comms System.
    4. Other Prep'er Groups in the Wider Area, should you have any that you know.....
    5. Other Prep'er Groups... wherever...

Now all you have to do is decide, which of these you think are worth while, or NOT...

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

WW, I think you've fallen victim to your own reverse logic. Just because I do not know, right this minute, who I want to talk to, or what to talk about, I need to establish a means of doing so. It's a matter of preparation for unforeseen circumstances and conditions that WILL vary. So far as the who, the more comms carried out ahead of time, the better the chances of figuring out who can benefit from what I know and vice versa.

As you said in the very first post, the questions are vague. What this thread, or network, may do for us (as opposed to ""Who has information that will help me"?") is create a base of comms knowledge usable by all. If it comes necessary to ignore a poseur or needy personality, there are ways to circumvent them, but only if a starting point exists. If the sky falls tomorrow, we are all on our own. If it holds off until a network is set up (and tested thoroughly) we have half a shot at taking advantage of group knowledge at a distance.

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

WW, I am a prepper and ex military nco. Coms are not my thing. Secure short range local coms are something I can highly appreciate. I am a generalist and an organizer about things beyond my primary areas of expertise. My plate is too full trying to prepare on a local tribe level to become more of a communications geek on a personal level. I just do not have the time. I wish I had a coms geek on a local level who I trust who could do this stuff in their sleep. Asking me anything further on this issue when obviously you are heads and shoulders above me on this issue, and since others here have engaged you in conversation on the issue, I will bid you adieu and wish you good luck in finding that which you seek. Some of those who have answered you are among the best we have here at Monkey. Talking down to them will not enhance your quest here. Here you are a newbie. Walk softly, show some respect, and it will do wonders for your efforts. BTW, I am done with this thread for the reasons already stated.

6. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Thanks for your feedback. I hadn't thought I was talking down to anyone, but I'm always open for advice.

William Warren

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Here is a bit of free advice, if you are using your true name here, I would suggest you speak with @melbo, about changing it. true names can be a bad thing in the hands of the wrong people.

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Perhaps the answer you are looking for is akin to this:
    What stations am I going to communicate with and give information that will help them?

Keep in mind that relationships, even as simple as an acquaintance, requires two-way interaction to exist on an amicable level for any length of time. This is the sort of intercourse that should be initiated and nurtured now - before any sort of disaster occurs.

Not trying to be a smart alec, but is this the type of answer you were initially searching? And furthermore (since I missed your intro post) Welcome to the tree! :)

9. ghrit

Well, rightly or wrongly, you put the hints on things to read in the waste bin and allowed as how they didn't answer your question. Going to such detail was rather overkill, and on the rude side, even if correct. I'd say that was, at best, an impolite response to a hint freely given as an assist to you. If that's the type of response you give as a matter of course, there's a pretty good chance you won't find help from people.

Again, I quote from your first post: ""Who has information that will help me"?") Not exactly pointing toward you becoming a willing contributor to the site, just a taker. For that, you are welcome to read, absorb, and take away the knowledge you can use.

10. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

I'll keep that in mind, and thanks.

William Warren
    (Insert clever .sig file here)

11. ghrit

melbo may or may not be available. Any admin can do it for you, just open a convo and have a bit of patience, we aren't always on line.

12. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions.

As I said, I'm new at this.

William Warren
    (Insert witty .sig file here)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  13. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Point taken. In my own defense, I would remind people that someone said that search would produce a large number of responses, and I was trying to show that most of them didn't cover the subject that I had asked about, but I'll be more diplomatic in the future.

I didn't mean "me" as "William Warren and no one else". I meant "me" as in "newbie asking for help". As I said in a followup post, I wouldn't ask people to help me or mine if I wasn't willing to return the favor: that's not how I am, and that's not the kind of person I would associate with.

William Warren
    (Insert trenchant comment here)

14. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

While a bit dismissive, I found a point by point listing and synopsis , a scientific approach. but it went down hill for the same reason the thread about the monkey standard AR-15, went down hill. Authority, tried to keep to the subject without allowing for others the same level of authority on the subject. it became "this is what we want, confirm my opinion". so to speak.

IF you had finished the listings, then compiled which listing DID pertain to your question, you may have already had your answer. If not, then would be a good time for a round table discussion as to a specific issue, such as WHO?, or HOW?. or even WHY? There are many experts in many different fields here, and a great deal of knowledge accumulated. I would suggest you use that search function, it works quite well, and with the new tagging, will pull up cross references as well. And as Tac said, welcome to the forum. There some good people here, make use of their knowledge.

Dont and BTPost like this.
  15. ghrit

Once again this whole thread shows that comms on forums, or nets on the air, written words in general, all suffer from the inability to see body language, snickers, laughter and out and out fury. Which once again seems to reinforce the idea of setting up and thoroughly testing a means for monkey comms to enable post-out of round conditions with minimal misunderstandings. Know your correspondents before need; it's the only way to separate the wheat from the chaff; i.e., know who to work with and who to avoid.

PC avoidance of offense is not the point. Careful phrasing with unambiguous meaning definitely is required.

16. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

You're right, and I apologize. I go back so far that we used to write on disks with a chisel, so I thought I was being clear, but now I see that I was rude.

William Warren

17. PLA

PLA Monkey++

My use for comms is very selfish

Stay with me here. I have been inside the ES loop for 20+ years, so I have a pretty good view of what is planned for, and what isnt. I also know a good number of the people who will be in charge of "help" in case of emergency or other "event".

To say I hold them in any manner other than contempt would be generous. They are out for themselves, to use any crisis to their advantage, either politically or to take care of who supports them first and everyone else gets whats left.

I want information from the source. That means digital, voice and internet access to the raw data, which if you are a member of the local ham club who is responsible for maintaining communications "after" you have.

To be in the club, you have to know the secret handshake, head nod and lisence class to be "one of the boys".

Therefore, the ham education and the specific areas which allow intercept, df, digital, and secure comms to the rest of your group to ensure "you" survive to come out the other side as well as the chosen few who because of the political and family connections have first dibs on anything.

But, Ive been accused of being a bit critical of people misusing their positions for personal gain before

18. tekdoggy

tekdoggy Monkey

Personally, I want to develop a group of like minded people within a 100 miles or so of my location, who when needed can alert me to trouble heading my way and possibly be in a position to provide assistance if the time comes I need it. My extended family has no interest in comms or prepping, so i plan to gather some cheap beofangs to hand out if SHTF, then they will have interest and those radios are capable of the local stuff.

I do also think it would be of interest to know what is happening around the country and world for that matter, as sooner or later it could impact me.

HAM radio seems to be a very complicated hobby to master ( from the limited time I have been researching it ), so I don't want to wait until I need it to try to set it up and learn to use it correctly, because it will be too late.

19. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Ham radio can be very much like the game Othello. It takes a minute (or a couple months) to learn and a lifetime to master. It can be as complicated or as simple as you want to make it (or have the funds, space, ability).

Step one, have a reason even if it's just a hobby. You have to WANT to do it.
    Step two, decide what distance you think you are going to want to do.
    Step three, get your Tech and a short range HT (Baofeng and Wouxun work well and are inexpensive).
    Step four, get your General if you want/need the HF privileges.
    Step five, get gear that works on HF.

I would NOT get gear that is used outside of what you are licensed for with the exception of the HT unless you are nearing completion. I've known a number of folks who sunk money into gear they will NEVER use because the desire has petered out on them. The HT is good, however, because it's inexpensive and can be used to learn on without ever hitting the transmit button. You can listen in on rag chews and the nightly/weekly/monthly emergency nets (we have one that spins up just about every time it rains) and learn how things work.

I won't get into the legality of getting a license. I'll let others talk that to death. The biggest reason to get licensed, outside of being legally allowed to transmit is that in so doing you will learn how to use your equipment.

Personally, I'm an Amateur Extra and glad I went all the way, even though I don't have an antenna worth a hoot right now. I learned a LOT during my licensing and will be and am FAR more comfortable with the hardware than I would have been if I just bought it and planned to "go rogue" once the world came to an end.

20. ghrit

If you aren't sure you want to get licensed, there's a better way to learn than hanging out on repeaters. There are receivers that cover the entire spectrum of hf operations that will get you listening to far more than 2M and 70 cm bands. There's activity on hf all the time to listen in and think about. The Baofeng and Wouxun transceivers won't do all that for you, and there are nets on all bands that might whet your whistle.

1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. bumpshadow
  4. hitchcock4
  5. DKR
  6. Bandit99
  7. BTPost
  8. DKR
  9. BenP
  10. Hanzo
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid