Who will die first when TSHTF?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Seawolf1090, Jan 29, 2011.

1. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

will I defend my home .. yes, and my family. will I live very long well....... I plan to go in the rapture LOL so Im out of here when the good Lord says so!

2. Skye

Skye Monkey+

I really enjoyed watching this straight forward clip by the patriot nurse. It didn't show me anything I didn't already know, just by looking around and observing people. But, it summarized it pretty well.
    As I look around, it makes me want to pull my hair out, seeing the lack of preparedness-and lack of concern over the need to be prepared. I have a sister that makes tons more money than I ( and loves to brag about that- apparently thinking that her financial status, neighborhood, etc, makes her smarter/better than I...sad...). She goes on cruises every 4 to 6 months, buys enough shoes and clothes (name brand, of course) to supply a small country---but does NOT have extra food in her house! After all---there's a grocery store and restaurant on every corner, right?
    It is true that I'm on food stamps....Did I mention I work at Walmart? But, that's about to change, too....It is their goal to make sure the employees do not make a living wage that they can actually support their families with, without being on some/all the assistance they can get. However, I use my low wages and food stamps much more wisely than people like my sister. That's how I bought my 2 25 lb. bags of wheat, and other supplies--tax free. The gov. isn't my friend. Why not use them to help me get what I need to survive. I'll also be off of this assistance shortly.
    I also know a lot of people that are really into Dave Ramsey. Yes, it's obviously good to be debt free. But, these people follow this gurus every dictate---and he is Not directing them to get prepared for a storm...Personal opinion is that he's a phony....but, that aside, investing more into your 401 K or other investments, now that all but your death tax is paid (mortgage)---is going turn out to be a bit useless, imo.. Prepare all that you can for you and your loved ones--NOW!! Not to be alarmist, ehehem...

3. Skye

Skye Monkey+

On a slightly different note, I've considered stocking things like coffee and cigarettes--even though I don't drink coffee nor do I smoke---just for future bartering purposes. Any thoughts on that?
    Ok....hoping this qualifies as my 5, so I can be a full-fledged member! ;->

4. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Im glad you are preparing, I know many folks that work for walmart, its a place of low wages big time. but so is many other places these days. disneyland and disney world to be more exact. they pay super low wages and the cost of living in these two states is crazy high.
    I think you are wise to get what you need, and silly that people like your sister will be scrambling to get anything soon with all there fancy money. Keep collecting and working towards your storage :)

5. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

some folks are doing this, to me its a waste of time. I do n ot plan to barter, after all that would show I hav e actual things stored to barter with. Im staying out of the bartering trade, I think its going to be a different world soon and its best to keep t ones self to survive. ( just my opinion)

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Have you considered that the folks that you would be bartering with, may just TAKE what you have and leave you with NOTHING.... When folks are desperate, what makes you think they will be civil..... .....

7. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

My thinking exactly. I think people think people will be come civil after so long a period of time, but my belief is they will take what you have at any cost so bartering to me is silly. its not like the movies where you have something to trade/barter/or sell, its going to be survival of the fittest at any cost.

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

The time for bartering is now, not when the have-nots come calling. By bartering for and with things now you build up a community of like minded folks that will stick together when tshtf. You will also learn by this who will be trustworthy to trade with and spot the leaches. Of course, this may also fall apart over hard times and long term hardship, like a total collapse of the economy.

9. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Survival Inoculation

BTPost,

Perhaps the most critical "piece" for survival post-SHTF is having the survival mindset.

I am frequently amazed at the relatively high number of person that I know who are right out front in stating that if SHTF comes, they simply would not care to survive because, in their words, it would not be worth it.

I think that most of those folks actually would be among the first or second wave of mass die-offs that would occur. A small percentage may have a change of heart and rue the day they purposely decided against making any kind of survival preparations.

Has anyone come up with a generic term for that class of humanity who are volunteering to be at the head of the line (Darwin Prize anyone?) when extinction beckons?

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That might loosely be "sheep." However, I know some sheep that do prepare for less than TEOTWAWKI.

11. johnnybgoode

johnnybgoode Monkey+

1. The Unarmed - What is yours won’t be for long without defending it with force
    2. The Unorganized - Preparation is your friend<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]When the roving mutant zombie bikers come calling, it’s always nice to have people you can count on to cover your six.</SPAN>

My .02

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7