Why I own firearms

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Modus Operandi, Sep 14, 2019.

1. I was asked once "Why do you own firearms"? I started to be flippant and say "Because I can". But then I thought long and hard. Why DO I own firearms? I own handguns for protection, both for myself and others. I swore an oath when I enlisted in the Marines, and that oath was never rescinded. And, when working around the property, it's easier to carry a handgun than a rifle or shotgun. The pistol is to be used UNTIL I can get to said rifle or shotgun.
    Why do I have a shotgun? Because the are times when a pistol isn't enough for the threat at hand. The old adage "being enough gun for the task at hand" is certainly apt. A shotgun is better than a pistol when facing a bear. But a long gun will get in the way when doing chores around the property or while climbing a ladder. But I have one for those midrange engagements.
    A rifle comes in handy for those longer ranged engagments or when defending live or property from those looking to do harm to others, whether 4 legged or 2 legged predators. Having taken that oath, as I stated I had at the beginning of this post, I keep my rifle at the ready in the event it is needed. Whether it's to defend livestock from predators, or property and lives from others that could wish harm to them.
    So, why do I have firearms? Is it for "sporting purposes", to do evil to others, or to protect life and property? I don't really hunt anymore, but I do target shoot. I am not a criminal per our current laws. So I own firearms for defense now. I own firearms to be a responsible citizen. I own firearms to prevent our government from going full on tyrannical dictatorship. An unarmed populace isn't free, it is enslaved. It will never truly be free, so I ask you. Why do YOU have a firearm?

Alf60, Mountainman, Lancer and 10 others like this.
  2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Because I can... ;)

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have firearms because I hold a Federal Firearms License, and it is my business to buy and sell firearms... I have personal firearms for Self-Defense, the Defense of my family, and the Defense of others.. I have firearms for hunting, and Sport Shooting... I have firearms because it is my God Given Right to do so... and No Man can go against my God, and not suffer the Consequences of such Act... if not in this life, then in the next....

4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The 2nd Amendment was included in the Bill of Rights, not to protect the rights of target shooters, gun collectors and hunters, but to protect the American people from ANY enemy, foreign or domestic. That includes OUR OWN government! That means that WE THE PEOPLE need weapons of war, be it a Brown Bess musket, 1853 Enfield rifle, Colt pistols, 1903 Springfield, M-1 Garand, AK-47, AR-15, etc. The 2nd Amendment is ALL about our ability to kill ANY enemy that threatens our freedoms.

Mountainman, arleigh, Lancer and 11 others like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I Hunt, I feed my self and my family, because it's one of the first few rules of life, wanna eat, gotta kill it and cook it!
    I protect my self and family, wanna keep on livin, gotta be ready willing and able to do what needs doing.
    I fight for others who cannot fight for them selves, it's the right thing to do!
    I stand on a wall to protect this country from all harms from any one who wishes to do us harm!
    I protect what is Mine, what I worked my ass off for, you wanna take from me, you better be ready for my response!

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Covered it #1

7. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I took the same Oath when I enlisted in the Navy many years ago. I have guns because my Dad,an army vet taught me about them. And how to shoot. Like you I never gave up on the Oath I took. I shoot and collect them, there are no safe queens here. They will be used to defend life, liberty and freedom as long as I'm able to.

8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I have firearms because I love firearms, everything about them. I also think they are a testament to mankind's evolution and intelligence. Look at all the science and craftmanship it takes to produce a firearm and the ammunition for it. Look at the hundreds of years it has taken to evolve to get to the modern day firearm and it continues to evolve. So, 90% of my firearms for me is sort of a hobby, a passion.

The other 10% are for self defense - meaning - a state of the art, pistol and rifle because I want to be as well defended as possible, might not get a second chance.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Also because I wanted to teach my kids something about things that go bang. Did so, and they bought their own, so I no longer need to fight with them about who's turn it is to take which arm to the range.

10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I used to have a lot of firearms...... then this day hit when my boat sunk...so tragic.
    Now I am down to a sling shot and a sharp stick. ;)

[​IMG]

Navyair, Alf60, Gator 45/70 and 8 others like this.
  11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I was raised where the weapons were a tool to gather food for survival . It was a tool to protect the livestock . And the last thing I was taught , was , it was a tool for protection . But it was a dangerous tool ,, the same way those old tractor hay rakes and combines were dangerous . But I was taught the differences in uses for a weapon , and I was disciplined if I did not use and respect it as taught . I was supervised on it's use until I reached the age of " supposed to know better " . Then I joined the Marine Corps . I have owned weapons from around the age of 10 yrs old , with my old Daisy 1 cock BB gun , then to my 22 cal Benjamin pellet rifle , on up to the high powered take down a bear , moose , etc , with 1 well placed shot . And the rest is history . None of my weapons have ever harmed anyone ,,, But I have trained my weapons to know the difference in food survival ,, and survival ,,,
    " And there are many like them , but these are mine , These are my best friends , I must master them , as I must master my life . And without me , they are useless , and without them, I am useless . We have become part of each other . We have .
    Before God I swear this creed . My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country . We are the masters of our enemy .
    So be it , until victory is America's , and there is no enemy , but peace .
    Semper Fi ,, MotherPuckers ,,,,

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

tradition!

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  13. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

ec0350cb20ac3e9d.

14. duane

duane Monkey+++

Some of my forebears lost the right to bear arms, lost their lands and were put on "reservations' and had to get "permission" to leave it, their children were brain washed at the "Indian schools", punished if they left, forbidden to speak their languages or study their culture. It would seem that depending on the government and society as a whole to do the right thing and protect your rights might be somewhat of a risk and losing all abilities to defend those paper rights has some downside risks. It was then and still is a totally random thing, being born black, native American, poor, etc, is something that you have no control over, but you will live with it. My great grandmother was Lakota, but married a German American, their children were not "Indian", if my great grandfather had been Lakota, their children would have been. Everything since then in our family history has been dominated by that one factor. While owning firearms might not change anything, the right to own them and the implied right to use them has been a factor in our history of maintaining control of the government as a people rather than being controlled by any group using it to control the rest of us. With the loss of our rights under the Constitution, to bear arms, speak freely, be secure in our possessions, to have a fair trial, etc, it may be necessary to at least have the ability to bargain for our rights again. As the lady said, it is too late to change things by voting and to early to change it with arms, a very difficult time for all for the next few years and I hope to God we are able to get thru it.

15. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

No firearms here nothing to see move along move along

Gator 45/70, Lancer, Ura-Ki and 5 others like this.
  16. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

study history - especially world history >>> US history is full of the immigration of people because of oppression and abuse - possible because those people couldn't defend themselves - immigration to North America started because of religious oppression - the country because of continued oppression by England ....
    the US is the last resort - if we lose the POWER to resist - no place to run ....

Ura-Ki, duane and 3M-TA3 like this.
  17. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

You like slingshots and sharp sticks too. post-6475-0-43307100-1496019168_thumb. 0503121506a.

Gator 45/70, Ganado, oldawg and 4 others like this.
  18. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have many reasons.
    It's my right to, as per the Second Amendment.
    My family has enjoyed shooting and hunting since I was a youngin.
    I have a great interest in our history regarding firearms, and the technology.
    I don't hunt anymore due to health reasons, but I could if I wanted.
    I enjoy plinking and sport shooting at the local range.
    Firearms are an important part of my preps.
    I fully intend to defend my rights, against foes foreign and domestic, if necessary. They can take my guns from under my dead body and pile of smoking empty brass.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

I own firearms , because I can and want to.
    Many of mine are historic...some are strictly for use and a few are both.
    Firearms interest me...in how they work , look and their history.
    I find their use and ownership to be both fun and a worthy responsibility.

It really should be simple...
    If you don't want to own firearms...then don't.
    Just don't make that choice for me.

As for just why one owns guns...its really no one's business...I only ask that one owns and uses their guns , safely and in a manner that works best for them.
    Andy

20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Sadly I see it happening in the next few election cycles, so by 2032 at the latest it's likely all over unless politics goes a vastly different direction.

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7