Why keep some cash at home? Here is why....

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DKR, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I was working with a big box store several years ago and their whole credit card system went down on a Saturday morning. The 1st store had kept the old press carbon CC machines and just kept going, the second store I went to that morning did not have those old machines and they lost something like 300k in sales that day. Multiply that times 2000 stores and you can imagine the revenue losses.

I was watching customers go next door to a grocery store, get cash and come back and pay cash for $1200 sales, it was crazy

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

In a side note - after some experimentation, I found that you can put $26 in dollar coins in a plastic 35mm film can. In addition, a pair of bills, any value, can be folded and but around the stack of coins. The bills keep the coins from rattling in the container. I suppose if I ironed the folded bills, 3 bills would fit.

I normally carry $25 in dollar coins and 4 quarters. Around this coin stack is a single 10 and 20 dollar bill.
    The quarters are for telephone calls - If I can find a working pay phone.....

Sadly, so few store sell or develop film, the little canisters are becoming hard to find.

I do this as spending coins is a pain - and while $26 worth of gas isn't much (at least here in AK) it's enough to get me home, or buy a small pizza or some other small items in a pinch.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Perfect example of how fragile our society is.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7