Why not have caches?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by dudi, May 3, 2017.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

2. DKR

3. DKR

A search of the web shows that "Metal detector-ist" hobby types uncover buried caches all of the time.

Everything from $10 million in gold coins (California) to massive caches of (Roman) silver coins (Brits)

I would imagine buried caches are a crap shoot, at best.

chelloveck and Brokor like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It doesn't deter treasure hunters armed with metal detectors though.

Under clothes lines and around old dwellings can be productive places to search.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I'm sure that's true, but if mine last 70 years I did a good job..
    Obviously I feel caches have their place. If someone else doesn't, cool, don't go to the trouble. IMO, the keys to a successful cache are location, proper prep and finish work, and a meticulous attention to detail.

6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Add to that, documenting the location and route to the cache, security when approaching and establishing the cache site, and when accessing and withdrawing from the cache. Camouflage, concealment, deception, counter surveillance and counter tracking are all important elements of preventing and avoiding the cache being compromised. OPSEC is of course essential.

http://cnqzu.com/library/Anarchy Fo... Movement and Counter-Tracking Techniques.pdf

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  7. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

The beauty of Australia is we have far less of a population to be out wandering around in the woods. There remains places here along the east coast that see next to no human traffic and certainly zero carrying around a metal detector. Conversely that means accessing those areas is also somewhat difficult. That said even around the capitol cities there are relatively easily accessed areas that could be used. Hell the local Jihad types have apparently burred a bunch of M72s around the south of Sydney and no one has turned them up yet, including the Police and Military our with the latest kit.

8. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Oh and yes...I am very glad to see the OP of this thread has been flushed to the sewer he belongs... !

9. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Ok My best friend and old rookie partner ended up in northern Ca his last few year of work. Big fire came thru. The calls came in about the cashes found by the fire fighters. Large ammo Cashes, and other stuff belonging to those who have no faith in the future,

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

That is something to think on, and something I've honestly not considered. The caches I've placed are at what I feel is a fairly deep depth, but not so deep that a dozer cutting a fire line might unearth them. It's a possibility I suppose. It would be interesting to find out the average depth that most of the discovered caches were placed at.

Ganado, chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

His first mistake was to assume Bugging in is a mistake. :)
    We bugged out in 2008 and are living the survival life NOW.

I buried a couple Marlin glenfield 60 rifles in 8 inch pvc tubes. Years ago. They are still there. Both were oil soaked and wrapped in oil rags. Each has 500 rounds. with it. Been there since 2000.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2017
    arleigh likes this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I dug up one of mine this am.
    Started out about 15"deep but about a year ago one of my cou-zans ran over my cache spot with a very large track hoe.
    Ended up at least 18" deep.
    Tomorrow I'll check the contents and see how 2 year's buried has changed the contents or not.

IMAG00744.

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

How can you tell which cache is yours? Just use one of these stickers to identify it:
    upload_2017-5-10_17-57-50. upload_2017-5-10_17-58-35.
    Now everybody else knows they don't belong to them...

Stickers are $5.25 per sheet:
    Biohazard! Sticker
    Radiation Hazard Sticker

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[LMAO] You evil minded man! I like how you think.

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7