Wild fire

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Aug 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I worked in Oakland when the Caldecott fire occurred. It was so hot the contents of the fire resistant homes burst into flames taking out the houses.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Wholly crap it's 92F and 3% humidity today.
    Edit: 2%

I have seen 3% a few times, never 2.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

But the Liberal Press & Media have never read those Scientific Peer Reviewed Papers...

oil pan 4 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

They don't read scientific papers or know anything about forestry. But they think they are the authority when it comes to how to take care of the environment...

SB21 likes this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

True enough. The language is over their heads.

SB21 likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Of course you are correct, the Talking Heads can’t do better than “See Spot run, and Dick jumped Jane...” but the Producers that write the stuff they read on the Air usually are Liberal Arts majors and at least should be able to read a Peer Reviewed Journal Paper, but they have to look up the multi-syllable (Big) words...

Had a Wildfire near here that started at the Orem, Utah Police Gun Range up in Provo Canyon, yesterday late morning... The MSM isn’t reporting how it started, but it burned a hundred acres of an Alaska neighbors winter homestead... He and a bunch of Firefighters were able to stop it at his Fire Break Road, and save his 10 acre homestead building site... I suspect they were messing with Tannerite up at the Range, and it got away from them... The fire is only 10% contained here at 8Pm, only because the wind is blowing away from my friend’s place, and the containment is his Fire Break Road...

8. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

[​IMG]

This fire, earlier this year, got within 6 miles of my retreat, which is almost close enough for ember attack). That firefront got to be 60 miles wide, and destroyed hundreds of buildings, killed lots of people, and downed one aircraft (with an American crew) and at least one helicopter. When I move onto this retreat in a few years I'll be installing an underground fire bunker.

Ganado, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

How will you deal with an air supply? I would think that the single most important item after some other basics.

SB21, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

The bunker I'm looking at is from one of the few with proper fire certification. It has an air vent which you close when the firefront approaches, which effectively makes it a sealed unit. The unit gives 1hr of breathable air for the number of people it is designed for, currently either 6 or 12. It is not designed for an extended stay, just until the firefront passes, which normally only takes a few minutes.

Wildfire Safety Bunkers

Gator 45/70, Merkun and SB21 like this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It's best to deny the fire fuel.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  12. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

I agree, but the local council doesn't. Even in areas where there was large loss of life and property, the local government will still prosecute you for removing trees. You can expect a fine of around $1000 for every tree removed.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

What can you do on your own property?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

And how's about making fire-lanes?

15. Downunder

Downunder Monkey++

We're permitted to clear several metres each side of a fenceline. I don't know about a fire break. The most dangerous trees, which are dead or really old, are the most protected, regarded as wildlife habitat. My neighbour had a dead tree that was in danger of falling onto his house, council refused to allow it's removal, and then in a storm it was hit by lightning and split almost in half. Council reluctantly permitted it's removal after that.

Some trees fall over during or soon after big storms. It happens regularly. You just need to cover up the bulldozer tracks :)

oldawg, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well you can't fix stupid.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I hate micro-management,Said .Gov really has no business poking around...other than approving a sewage system
    I once was told I needed a permit to clean out a culvert under my driveway,Informed said permit dude to stuff it up his...well you know,We have been taking care of the culverts since 44' without a ''permit''

SB21 likes this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I cut more of my field than I ever have and it's barely july.
    But I got a bunch of smaller dead elm trees now, about 10% of the smaller elms died. They dried out, got little bugs boring into them, guess they didn't have enough sap to flood out the bugs. They are small enough they should fit in my little 4 inch wood chipper if I don't buck them to stove size which I do if they are over 2 or 3 inches in diameter and not too twiggy.
    Next problem, I'll have stumps to deal with. I think I want to build a stump grinder. I might just blow them up but worry about collateral damage.
    I have a bunch of stumps that I hoed the dirt back, cut the tree off off at dirt level but the stump slowly starts protruding above dirt level and I find it with the mower in a bad way.
    I don't mind craters.

Had a 1% humidity day.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7