Wilderness baking

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by SurvivalTech, Jun 12, 2012.

1. SurvivalTech

SurvivalTech Monkey

If you cant cook or you just need to bake something it is very easy and simple to make a oven in the so called "wilderness", to begin(this is for ones who don't know how)- You will need some kind of saw,hatchet, or axe that you know how to cut decently with. Ok find a spot that is by mud but get sunlight( you might want to move mud to a different location if possible ). Take your cutting tool and find thin-like branches or tree sprouts that are 'bendy' and cut them to a 3-5 foot height; depending on your ideal size of stove. Now cut a pretty flat plank from a old tree stump maybe or something that will act as the base of the oven where you will place food on!! Put it down where you want to make the stove at and grab your 'bendy' branches and drive one end around the base about 4-5 inches or until its secure enough, then do the same to the other end of the branch and continue to do with all of them to form the foundation of your oven. After that get your mud and build around your foundation design to give it a structure(be careful you don't collapse it all). After that let the sun dry it out for a while and make sure to add an opening or two so the oven has enough room for coals to burn in the back somewhere(circumference about a inch) , then make a door to fit the front of the oven to keep the heat in. You are basically good to go but I did not go into too much detail but I hope you get the idea. I know that there are several different ways to make a oven/stove out of pretty much nothing but nature but this is only one.[nospam]

TailorMadeHell likes this.
  2. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

[worthless]

Sounds like a plan though.

Guit_fishN likes this.
  3. SurvivalTech

SurvivalTech Monkey

Yeah I know but it's just to give an idea, if interested people can look up exactly how

TailorMadeHell likes this.
  4. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Good idea. I'll have to check it out and add it to my list of schematics.

5. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Here is some video's I found on youtube

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q6siLB9NqGo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RiU4acaIAbY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

SurvivalTech likes this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

picture vs 1000 words

7-%20Stone-pit%20oven%20and%20tripod%20smoker..

Looks to be time and labor intensive. If you know you will be booking out, why not just take a reflector over?

[​IMG]
    It will fold nearly flat, and sets up quickly. Nothing against dirt, but the labor vs carrying the folding oven seems like a wash.

YOU get to chose, of course.

SurvivalTech and BTPost like this.
  7. SurvivalTech

SurvivalTech Monkey

yeeeeah that's what im talking about, now thats a good stove but not oven but yeeeeah nice!!!

8. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

If I am in the "so called" wilderness then I will have a Dutch oven. There aint squat I cant make in it.
    If I am in the real wilderness, I aint stayin long enough to bake cookies. Kill it, smoke it/dry it while fleshing the hide to make moccasins, pants, shirt, coat, etc. and then keep moving.

I suppose if you are on a pre-winter hunting party and at an intermediate camp away from home setting up something along those lines could be handy though.
    dutch.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7