Wind Turbines- New Wind Tree Vent

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Sep 24, 2016.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If you were in survival mode,
    and were along a stream,
    and had the capacity to fish more than one way ,
    wouldn't you use them all ?
    With climate changing ,it makes sense to me to take advantage of all possible routes I can possibly afford.
    They all are speculating on the future , and I may die before the world comes to a stop , but till then it's an investment I can give to my kids ,and their future.

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Interesting, but I doubt it's usefulness except to charge a cell phone... Might be a neat back packing gadget but don't think I would trade the weight for it.

4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Hmmm....5 watt output...and that's into a 5 volt battery (usb power). Interesting, but it does seems a bit on the pricey side.

5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I live in the windiest location in the country, bought one tried it and say it's a waste of money.
    I say the only time they would make some sense is if you were off grid and your location made somewhat consistent wind at night.
    And your only chance to get any useable power is on a 12v system.
    You may have better luck with a good Maximum Power Point Tracking charge controller, they can take as little as 8v and bump it up to charging voltage for a 12v system.

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I posted once on this
    TFJ ,, see the 5 g price ,, for you who never passed math , buy a abacus know the formula .
    Learn b4 asking the SAME questions !!
    Learn to be smart

Sloth

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Cruisin Sloth
    I get your point on these and I still wonder if there isn't a viable option for some kind of wind power option that doesn't involve those government subsidized giant wind turbines.

Something individual home size?

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There are, for sure.
    small wind generator - Google Search
    The economics are subject to some scrutiny.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Why think small ,?
    why not think better?
    I have a cart built for the purpose of carrying game out .
    Several options arise.
    Have an attachment for a generator on a wheel that makes 12 volts .one of two ways .
    One , if you know there is a stream where you are going to camp, arrange paddles to attach to the tire and support in the stream ,run a wire to a battery on shore and yo've got steady power.
    Or if there is no running water wind is good, have a different set of blades that attach to the wheel and let the wind do the charging. Not as strong but still functional.
    I've never been a fan of submerging electronics, heat time and other factors eventually break down seals that are intended to protect electronics especially adjacent to moving parts .
    Small electric trolling motors come to mind.
    I don't particularly care about running phones and laptops in the woods, there are no cell sites available any way .But amateur radio and emergency communications are important as well as lighting.
    But things like this are only short term assistances a week at a time or so .
    Day camps it is not practical .
    Post SHTF events having some sort of generator for lighting would be beneficial , not having to use up other precious resources like oil or gas for lighting .

chelloveck likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Mr Olsen has lots of Info
    Chris Olsen is on You tube & was once here As was Tn Andy
    They are still on our RE forums .Very real & proven work .
    Sloth

Post 24 say's it ALL !

Ganado likes this.
  1. Yad Tsalach
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. bsr1st
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid