Winter water storage

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by monkeyman, Sep 18, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I asked this a while back on another board but figured I would try again here. Dose anyone know of a decent way to store water in a vehicle that has never/will never see a heated garage in sub freezing weather so that it stays liquid or can easily and quickly be returned to liguid?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Under the scenario you describe, it is a practical impossibliity to keep it liquid unless you expend some energy in the form of heat. For easy conversion back to liquid, you deal with the smallest possible storage container. The surface area will govern the rate of melting, the more the better. I'd suggest a pile of smallish plastic bottles, say pint sized, and with straight sides to allow linear expansion when you get some warmth.

Bear in mind that water (ice) is at max density at about minus 4 C. Any temps above or below that exert expansive forces on the container. The selected plastic has to have some elasticity.

Another way to make melting a bit faster would be to cut the container off the ice blob and put it in a pan. Smack it a couple tiimes with something like a hammer, and add heat.

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thats kind of what Ive figured but thought I would post it incase someone had come up with a method I hadnt thought of.

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Ganado
  6. DKR
  7. Motomom34
  8. ColtCarbine
  9. Graciesdad
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. oil pan 4