Work Place BOB

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TheEconomist, Jan 24, 2012.

1. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

I work in downtown Pittsburgh and have been trying to brainstorm what I could bring/leave at work for a SHTF situation. Let us pretend that we are in a metropolitan area at work when SHTF. What would you have at your desk or in a BOB to make it out of the city.

To boot your workplace has a no firearms, hatchet, knive, weapon of any kind policy...so you are limmited as per what you can bring in your BOB. What could you find in an office environment to convert into something useful to make your way out of the city?

So here is your challenge! Build me a BOB that would get me over the rivers, through the tunnels, over the mountains, and through the woods.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The only question not answered other places on this board is where you put a weapon or two that can be accessed if/when SHTF. Seems to me that one might rent a safety deposit box in a nearby bank (NOT the same building you work in) and put something useful in it. Then, further assuming a bit of warning to get out of dodge, you might be able to hit the bank on the way out. No advance notice doesn't leave you any worse off than already.

Knife style letter openers come immediately to mind as possibly found in the office (or put one in your desk.) Store a "cane" by your desk for the infrequent knee problems. Is there a kitchen where a proper knife can be found?

3. TheEconomist

We do have a kitchen but only plastic utensils are allowed to be used there. However we all have scisors that would be converted into something handy. Also, I was thinking about the long papercutter blade could be detached as a machette style weapon but that would be heavy to carry and no very inconspicious. Obviously we don't want any special attention because of something that big.

My wife used to work in a commercial Bank branch and I know that it is illegal to store money and weapons in a safe deposit box. But, people do it all the time. This could be an option that I would look into.

For getting out of town I was thinking about having a bicycle in the covered bicycle storage of my building so that travel out of town would be way faster. But as far as a pack is concerned what would you want in it? Should I consider the needs of my co-workers and friends, or just worry about me getting out?

I know the last question is a moral conundrum but it is one that I struggle with...do you help those that need it, especially when it puts you in peril?

Of course YMMV...please keep adding to this folks, I am a newbie prepper and love the advice.

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Depends on what you are intending to do... if you plan on heading home your bag should have that in mind ... if you plan on helping everyone else out then thats a horse of a different color...

first thing is to determine what your constraints are and what your plans are then what goes in your bag becomes more evident...

chelloveck likes this.
  5. TheEconomist

I would say getting home to my wife, and in the future kids. My grandmother always told me to never turn someone away that needs your help but I suppose if the SHTF we would all need help and the best person to help you is you...

So if I am only worried about getting the 8 miles from downtown to home what would you think I would need?

I have read this:

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/forum...ntest/30531-building-better-bug-out-bags.html

But was hoping for a more specialized suggestion.

6. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

I'd have a good knife on me at the very least...what my employer didn't know wouldn't hurt them. And as someone else stated,a good stout cane,preferably hickory.A simple first aid kit,maybe some snacks and water.Maybe 20 or so dollar bills,if you're accosted scatter them to the winds and run like a rabbit while the accosters are distracted by the money.

7. Witch Doctor 01

water
    1. platypus bladder Large
    2. straw filter/water purefier your choice
    3. bottle water purifier tabs
    Food
    1. 3 3600 calorie Main stay lifeboat ration packs (Amazon.com: Mainstay Emergency Food Rations. One Pack.: Toys & Games)
    2. some hard candy of your choice
    Shelter

1. SOL Bivy sac (Adventure Medical Kits - SOL Emergency Bivvy
    2. 50ft para cord
    3. Poncho
    4. 2 large debris clean up trash bags
    5. small roll of duct tape
    6. small sewing kit
    BOV
    1. good mountain bycle
    2. tire repair kit for bike
    3. tool kit
    Fire
    1. Bic lighter
    2. water proof strike anywhere matches (25) in match safe
    3. cotton balls smeared with vasilene
    4. "Trick " birthday candles 1 box
    Light
    1. Small led flash lighht with spare batteries (Mini Mag)
    2. Led bicycle light (if you are taking a bike)
    Personal
    1. 5 day supply of meds
    2. small first aid kit
    3. spare glasses/ batteries for hearing aids etc
    4. id papers
    5. spare key
    6. socks 2 pairs
    7. mole skin
    8. cash ($100.00 in various bills)

Communications
    1. cell phone & charger
    2. frms radio
    Directions
    1. County/city map
    2. compass
    3. gps if available
    Weapons
    1. Small 2 blade pocket knife or box cutter
    2. slingshot bands
    3. monkeys paw key fob with .63 cal musket ball in the paw 8" of looped para cord to hold keys
    4. walking stick (cane i prefer a bubba stick or fighting cane)
    carrier
    1. small day pack with a spot for the platypus bladder
    When you assemble the kit you have two items to hide...

you can place the small knife in the bottom of the platypus containment system and fill the bladder the box cutter can be taped to the back of the mini mag carrier and will pass a metal detector if left with the minimag or place with the bike tool kit (some kits in nylon cases have a "false bottom " or flap to help support the weight) this is an alternate spot to hide your blades

there are time to ask permission and times to ask forgiveness... if the knife is small enough and you are caught with it ask forgiveness... i mean the longest blade is only an inch boss i was using it last night to open the mail and dropped in in my pocket...

YMMV

chelloveck likes this.
  8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Assuming a desk (not bench) and personal space (not cubicle)?

There are plenty of areas in a desk to hide things - some in plain sight.

For instance, the file-size drawer, under the writing utensil drawer: Behind all the office-related files, you might have a large-capacity file of your own. That will give you app 12X9X3" of space.

You might have a case of bottled water underneath your desk. It's such a bother to go to the cafeteria to get something to drink - not to mention loss of productivity time. Much handier to have close. :) Do you have snacks in your drawer? You could!

In your writing utensil drawer; of course you have a plastic organizer so your pens and pencils don't just go rolling around! Just under that is a great place to have stuff!

You should have a full set of utensils at your desk (including a steak knife). You never know when you're going to be stuck at your desk for lunch. Certainly if only plastic is allowed in the lunchroom - you wouldn't break those rules - but that brown-bag that your wife sends should be complete with utensils just for you. :)

Under-drawer and under-desk is a great place to store thin items. Use your imagination! Get creative! Ink pen, letter opener, scissors, broken ruler. Weapons are everywhere.

Interestingly enough (and slightly off topic); I had a scare at the office this morning, so I had this mental exercise of locating everything that I might use to disable anyone that was [unknowingly/surprisingly] here. I'm now comfortable enough to say that you probably don't want to mess with me at work :D.

Cephus and chelloveck like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A very comprehensive reply, Witch Doctor

TheEconomist

Another weapon option is a C Cell Maglite torch or similar....The torch is merely a means of light source in the event of a blackout. Building emergency wardens have torches and hard hats do they not??? Oh yes...maglites can be used as an improvised club.....but don't tell your boss that.

Personally, I would have a Load Bearing Vest in my locker and a small day pack. I would wear the vest under a bulky jacket or windcheater. To outward appearances I would merely seem to be a moderately overweight dude with nothing apparently worth the taking from. If need be I could sacrifice the day pack and still have the means to get home comfortably.

I understand your concern for your co workers and it does you credit that you have at least considered them in your planning. How much you make provision for them depends on practicality I suppose (storage space, concealability and expense). You may wish to consider making some provision for co workers who live close to you whom you may wish to travel together with...at least part of the way for group solidarity and security.

Dress for the part of a refugee...If your corporate position requires you to power dress and wear an expensive Amani suit ensemble, that is not a look to be having when you are "on the road". Make your disaster get home clothing drab, hard wearing, and blue collar. Make sure your boots / shoes are sturdy and have a hat/cap to keep your head warm. Dress appropriately for the season/climate. Keep your gold Rolex and bling out of sight. Unless of course you have to unavoidably pass through "the hood", in which case wear a balaclava, and lots of cheap bling and dress like a homie!!! : O

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  10. Witch Doctor 01

Many a LEO has "enlightened " a subject with the use of a "D" cell mag light....

11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Let there be light...and there was...and many stars as well!

I consider the "C" cell superior to the "D" cell.....at least as an improvised club. The C Cell is just as sturdy but it is lighter to carry and it is much more manouvreable than the D Cell, requiring much less force to exert and control towards its target. Yes the D Cell has much more mass, but it is clumsy to manouvre and would be less manageable by folk with a slight physique / less developed upper body strength. The narrow battery storage well of the C Cell makes it more easily gripped than the "fatter" profile of the D Cell.... much better for smaller hands.

The Economist

Also in allaying employer anxieties about weapons at work, the C Cell looks a lot less threatening than a D Cell, but it sacrifices very little in its value as a very potent weapon. Oh...by the way....make an investmnent in some baton training...no point in having a weapon if you don't know how to use it effectively.

12. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Monkey+

Are you assuming that you couldn't make it back to your vehicle in a garage or parking lot?

Each of my vehicles has a get-home bag (GHB) in them filled with all sorts of wonderful stuff. I park in a parking garage connected to my office building by a tunnel. Of course, I could go above ground if the tunnel collapsed for some reason.

13. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I am happy my IT team has been relocated back to the lower basement, from our lofty perch on the 11th floor. We can UA the building a LOT quicker now. Just up one floor and out the back door! Then a quick trot across the street to our vehicles. I do keep a few minor emergency items in my cube - flashlight, water bottles, Ramen meals.
    But generally if anyemergency happens (like back during 911) they cut us loose to go home. My GHB is in the van.

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Bus terminal lockers are a good storage point for things that you wouldn't carry into the work compound and they are open 24-7.

15. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

If I only had 8 miles to get home I would gear toward light fast travel. maybe a quart of water flashlight some type of weapon. Letter opener comes to mind just sharpen it. Even as slow at 2 mp you are home in 4 hours easy to do with no food or water.

16. TheEconomist

I actually take a train into work, its about 45 min. Before that I drive another 20 min from my home. This makes it hard for me to get to my vehicle without train access because of Pittsburghs topography.

Fedorthedog: The problem with my city is that things are at a choke point all over. Not only do we contend with the three rivers but also a mountain range that blocks my passage south towards home. You can go over the ridge but you are going through ghetto's, then there are 3 tunels under but they are long and dark and who knows who came down off the mountain to get businessmen and take their rolex's (which were mentioned before). It may only be 8 miles but in a shtf situation it would be 8 miles of hell.

17. Marco Montana

Marco Montana Monkey+

OMG you think like me!!!! I too was concerned if in the event I needed something while at work.... I mean who knows when you'll be in duress?

So I grabbed this small camera case and use it as my phone case, I made a small micro kit in it see below.

My Case
    IMAG0588.

Inside view where I hold my phone
    IMAG0589.

This is the front pouch doesn't look like much but watch what I can fit in there.
    IMAG0590.

Contents: Carbon Opinel #7, DM sharpener medium, band aids, Small ziploc bag with advil, claritin, benadryl, neosporen, 2 Diox tabs, Ferro rod and striker, tiny bic lighter, pocket Fresnel lens.

IMAG0591.
    IMAG0588. IMAG0589. IMAG0590. IMAG0591.

Sapper John, Wolfgang2000 and oth47 like this.
  18. hedger

hedger Monkey+

I also have a BOB in my car. Once I've reached my car, I'll have a lot of resources.

While your scenario of being in an office environment where guns and edged weapons are forbidden can tweak the creativity, I strictly do not care to place myself in that kind of environment, period.

19. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

Being a little familiar with PHG, yep rivers are a problem. Is there a marina near by? Keep a canoe at the 'Canoe Club'. An inner tube uninflated with a can or two (or three) of compressed air. On the bike get never flat type tyres. Eight miles there, assuming you are in the 'downtown' area would be like going through Dante's Inferno for sure.
    Pre-position supplies, keep a good pair of boots (broken in of course). Comfie clothes, spare socks.

When exfiltrating, blend in and hope it is before o1300 hrs, the creeps on the hill are still sleeping. BTW, nice view from up there, sub and paddle wheelers.

20. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Living 2500 miles away from you and not knowing what Downtown Pittsburgh is like, I looked at Mapquest satellite and map imagery. I think I'm seeing the neighborhoods and tunnels you speak of south of downtown. Unfortunately, I do not know how far the ghettos stretch.

How far out of the way would it be to go around the ghettos? I think you are on the right track to have a bicycle at hand. It would be better to peddle 20-30 miles to get home safely, then to not get home at all.

If the ghettos are as unsafe as you say they are, there might not be any of amount of protection you could carry for a safe passage home through the ghettos. Especially if you encounter a large enough amount of assailants, even if you had a firearm and a bunch of ammo. How many people do you think you can shoot it out with before one of them shoots you. The odds are against you but then again just taking one out might be all you need to do. Unfortunately, nobody knows how that is going to pan out until it happens.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like you need to do one river crossing, yes. Which leaves you the option of a bridge crossing, swimming across or floating across. Like somebody said you could get a canoe. A $50-$80 one man inflatable raft comes to mind but it would be heavier than the rest of all your gear you would want to carry and you would need an air pump to inflate it. Then where are you going to store it. Don't forget you need to get the bike across with you to the other side. I guess you have to hope you can at least get across the river by bridge or once you are on the other side you will be on foot if you can not manage to get the bike across with you.

There does not seem to be any easy answers. It appears to me that a safe route home is more of an issue, rather than what you need to carry in a bug out bag. If I was on a bike and had to travel 10-30 miles I would travel light and dress for the weather, it's really not that far. If it makes you more comfortable to carry a 50lb. backpack full of crap, then go for it. You are trying to get home, not survive in the woods for a couple of days. As mentioned also, get rid of the business attire and dress like a blue collar worker.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Motomom34
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  6. phorisc
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Motomom34
  9. ED GEiN
  10. AxesAreBetter
  11. medicineman
  12. Oltymer
  13. Imasham
  14. Witch Doctor 01
  15. Legion489
  16. DarkLight
  17. DarkLight