Work Place BOB

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TheEconomist, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

an Inner tube with a can of inflata spare would get you across the river... get a dry sack for your clothes and bob... two and you could take your bike with you... (tie it to one and tie that tube to yours...) then it's a matter of the actual crossing and moving on....

chelloveck likes this.
  2. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

Everyone,

Thank you for the replies! This is becoming a good thread, I feel, and is making me really think about what is important in this situation. Trying to find the right balance of what to have and the right path to get home is going to be something that I am really going to have to think about. The Idea of traveling via bike 30 miles wouldnt be too bad, I could do that rather quickly based on what I have riden in the past. As far as a work BOB, I believe you are right to say that I will want to travel light and fast. Something that will give me the bare essentials for safety as well as sustinance. I am going to go with a small High Sierra backpack that I already own and trick it out to weigh no more than 25 lbs as that would be adding %15 to my body weight and over a 20-30 mile bikeride could add up. As far as what to put in the pack I just got hit with a stroke of luck.

I was named the safety officer here at work which provides me the privledge of having a nice size MagLite on my desk.

Any other suggestions of what a "Saftey Officer" might need and be able to have because of the designation?

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I like your thinking...imagination and creativity rules!

I like the creative thinking Seacowboys, but once things go pear shaped, access to a bus terminal may be limited or denied completely. usually bus depot lockers are for short term storage, and as a permanent storage solution they would be rather expensive, and depending on the payment system, the contents may not be rocoverable if you don't keep paying the coinage to keep the hire going on a daily basis.

One possible solution is a private mailbox. I don't know how these things are managed in the US, but in Australia, private mail boxes usually have 24 hour access to keyholders. Rental is usually long term, i.e. 6-12 months or more and the rental is usually not exhorbitantly expensive. Private mail boxes are usually accessible without needing entry into the building. In a disaster where looting is possible, the private mail boxes are probably at relatively low risk of being looted, given that few people would think of private mail box as containing anything other than mail: it's not as if it would hold a plasma TV or a ghetto blaster or some such. Some private enterprises offer secured private boxes for mail.

Speaking of filing cabinets, particularly ones where locked access is restricted to yourself, the void between the bottom filing cabinet drawer and the floor will conceal a small cache of survival supplies and equipment. Put the cache in a binder, within a sealed envelope marked, "Human Resources Equity and Participation Policies"...or "Occupational Health and Safety Induction Register 20XX: Store for 5 years then dispose of in secure waste"...I guarantee it will never be opened, even if unwittingly discovered.

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

A first Aid kit appropiately filled with shears and scaple, Keys to the building, weather radio/scanner, spare batteries for flashlight or charger, training?, map of the building (will let you find some nice hiding places that you can access for weapons/bob)... now look over the building and see if you can find any poetential weapons...

whynot likes this.
  5. WhataTime

WhataTime Monkey++

Leatherman or similar multitool.
    Even a corporate office worker needs pliers or tighten a screw every once & a while,

6. chelloveck

Try making music with a Fubar, the audience will love it!

Having a Stanley Fatmax 55-119 Fubar multi purpose tool has the weight, heft, and balance to lend a safety officer some authority when dealing with emergency situations. It has a textured rubberised sheath covering the shaft, so that you will never lose your grip in a desperate situation.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QFDADS/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Firefighting professionals shop for helmets, flashlights, boots, badges and shields at TheFireStore.com - Stanley Tools: FatMax FuBar Forcible Entry Tool

DIY Fatmax Breaching Tool for First Responders, SAR or Zombies

Stanley Fubar Piano Demo - YouTube

Stanley Fubar 55-099.mp4 - YouTube

I have a Stanley Fatmax...and it would make an excellent war hammer. It may also get you out of a building where the doors / windows are jammed.

TheEconomist likes this.
  7. TheEconomist

I really like this idea Chelloveck...

Being that we are on the 18th floor of an office building we never know when we will have to crack open a door locked with a passcode or security ID card and we wont have access otherwise. Also, elevator doors may need to be opened.

This seems like an investment that I will be looking into.

8. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

Why would you not be allowed to store money in a safe deposit box? Not saying that isn't the rule, just wondered why. No currency whatsoever? No coins? antique or foreign currency? Weird

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. TheEconomist

Im sorry, I should have clarified. You cannot store FRN's (Federal Reserve Notes) in a safe deposit box because they keep them out of circulation. So basically if everyone did it and the FED found that there was not enough money in circulation (because the velocity of money had dropped) then they would print more and put it into circulation....like they have been with QE 1 2 and 3. Then if everyone went and got their money out of the safe deposit boxes and started to spend it there would be artificial inflation.

Thus no FRN's allowed in Safty Deposit Boxes.

10. TheEconomist

Just bought one, thanks buddy!

chelloveck likes this.
  11. chelloveck

You're welcome, Economist

You're welcome mate....I have a Fatmax, and haven't so far needed to use it for anything other than mundane hammering. I used to belong to a volunteer bush fire brigade, and got my fatmax as an emergency forcible entry tool. Having the tool affords me the confidence that I have the wherewithal to give me a fighting chance of getting me into...and more importantly, getting me out of a building in an emergency.

I note that you are on the 18th level of your building. You may wish to consider obtaining a suitable length of rope, Karabiners, and a full climbing harness (A full harness may be preferred as it will allow the lowering of unconscious / injured victims better than just a belt harness. It will also afford frightened / inexperienced loads a bit more sense of security. Another item worth contemplating is a litter/stretcher with anchor points for winching, and with the means of securing the patient to the litter/stretcher with belts or straps. Some woolen blankets for fire protection and shock mitigation would also be a nice touch. Having the means for self-help should not be underestimated as a way for calming people, and offering some hope of deliverance.

$200 or $300 worth of kit, plus the cost of training may seem an unnecesarily extravagant waste of money....like....how often do high buildings explode / burn down?...But it only has to happen once...with you in it...for it to be very worthwhile, and it surely beats jumping or being burned alive. One guru on personal safety and survival always makes sure that he never books a room in a hotel higher than can be reached by a turntable ladder fire appliance.

https://www.pyro-tection.com/wildernessshop/catalog/index.php/cPath/59

12. TheEconomist

I think you make a ver good point. I have basic trianing through the American Red Cross and USA Hockey (believe it or not) but it doesnt go beyond 1st responder duties. Having a harness to lower people would be nice, but knowing the people that I work with it could turn into a (I better knock this person unconcious, or worse, and take his stuff so I can get out alive) situation.

Have the basics to provide some sort of order would be a good idea though, we did experience aftershocks of an earthquake this past summer/fall and it was a rather eye-opening event as we are in Pittsburgh, PA and nowhere near a fault line. This of course means that none of the buildings here are meant to be earthquake proof.

13. chelloveck

Just throwing ideas in the air.

you have a better idea of which ones will fly and which ones will die. Others may work in a less "save myself first and bugger the rest" work colleague environment.

I'm just throwing ideas into the air...only you know, with your knowledge of your circumstances, what may be practical, and what may not.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Motomom34
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  6. phorisc
  7. Thunder5Ranch
  8. Motomom34
  9. ED GEiN
  10. AxesAreBetter
  11. medicineman
  12. Oltymer
  13. Imasham
  14. Witch Doctor 01
  15. Legion489
  16. DarkLight
  17. DarkLight