Would You Risk Your Entire Family to Save One Person?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Oct 15, 2015.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Throw pig brains as chaff, take care of zombies and Muslims.

2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I was thinking of this thread watching the Seconds from Disaster ep about the fire aboard the cruise ship Scandanavian Star. A young couple was there with their toddler son, when they left their cabin to escape, the husband had the boy, and he got to safety, then realized his wife wasn't there, and left his son with other passengers to go find her, and the (toxic) smoke was so bad, he realized he had a choice, risk ensuring his son would be an orphan to find his wife, or turn back. He did turn back for his son, but it took him a long time to move on from the loss, as much as anyone can.

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The self preservation drive can be a strong motivator....

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've lived long enough, Saw enough, Done enough, The young one's deserve a chance.
    I'll take mine with a smile!

5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Nowadays I can't see how it would be that Sass would be the family member away so that leaves no one within 60 minutes that I would risk my life for save one, and honestly he would probably be calling us to make sure we were GTG.
    BUT, if one of my daughters were in this AO, it's a no brainer. Like a couple of others have said, I send Sass out of harms way with her 4x and I take another to grab my daughter. I would be armed, and if need be I would use whatever means needed to to keep the sheep at bay period. We have talked long and hard about extended family/friends in SHTF scenarios.
    Bottom line, they have a chance to prep just like we do. Those that do/have are useful .Those that didn't aren't.
    When the door of the Ark gets closed, that's it....

Motomom34 and Mountainman like this.
  6. Tully Mars

Yes.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. BC22

BC22 Monkey

This is a conversation that I keep trying to have with my husband. We have full physical and legal of 9 yo SS, he is with his bio-mom EOW. Because of murphy being the jerk he is, S will HTF on one of her weekends I have no doubt. While husband still says he is undecided, I long ago decided that unless it is certain that 1. they are dead or 2. that they have bugged out to an unknown location we will load up and go get SS, this will likely mean having to take ex-wife, SS 1/2 brother, and the baby daddy. As much as I loathe ex-wife and her boyfriend, I'd drag them along if it meant keeping SS and the 2 year old half brother safe. I say WE because I am the cooler head and hand and in a SHTF situation and in day to day life, my husband and I are a team, we don't split up.

8. Bigfoot1986

Bigfoot1986 Monkey

Close immediate family yes, friends who have prepped yes, friends and no nearby family no. I live on a lot of land with lots of trees and water and food as in deer. So if they want they can come here. Though grandparents wont want to come here, they pride themselves on their indepentceicy

chelloveck likes this.
  9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

How would I know if this person an hour away needed help in the first place?

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Time to start a conversation with the SS, about what to do, if or when he gets worried, while NOT IN YOUR Care, under your DIRECT Supervision... Think "Rally Points", Emergency Comms, (Phone Numbers, Burner Phone for the kid) to only be used in an Emergency, OpSec Planning... (Family Business) only to be discussed by You, Hubby, and Kid, PERIOD.... As he gets Older, how to move, between where he IS, to the closest Rally Point, with out attracting ATTENTION of other People. How to HIDE, while doing such a Move... And how to use terrain, to mask his movement, and also use the terrain to facilitate Comms, with you, to make a Pickup... At or near a predetermined Rally Point....

chelloveck likes this.
  11. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

BT - Good advice, but your talking about a 9 yo. SHTF will happen between tonight and right after Hitlery gets into office, so your talking a 9 to 11 yo kid. There needs to be a very basic plan on where to meet for a pickup and the plan will most likely be compromised to the ex-wife and boyfriend.

12. BC22

BC22 Monkey

Ha, getting my 9 yo SS to think about anything like that will start SHTF in my life. Best I can tell either he or his mother twist everything we do or say to make it sound like living with us is hell. If I made a plan for him to bug out should SHTF, it would undoubtedly turn into we were making a plan for him to run away.

chelloveck, Mountainman and Ganado like this.
  13. Tully Mars

That's sad BC. Sorry to hear it.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Sounds like the extra baggage adults are not preppers and will not BO so the SS will be at their location. You might want to make up something that sounds like a meet up game just off the property for when you are suppose to take him home. That way if it gets compromised you can say it is just a game for his regular pickups. That's as long as phone service is working. If not go get him and leave the baggage behind.

chelloveck and Tully Mars like this.
  15. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

I would send the family I have with me to the safe location and then attempt to rescue the other. I could throw a saddle on my mother-in-law and it would be riding bull rhino.lol

Tully Mars, Ganado, Yard Dart and 4 others like this.
  16. winston

winston Monkey

Pretty fun thing to think about. I wouldn't hesitate for a second for a friend or family member...not even a blink. Looking forward to reading others' responses...and even the devil's advocate point of view. I'm not much of a "fence rider", so I can't imagine any prepper not going after a family member. It depends who you are though...if you don't believe you can defeat anyone or overcome any situation, then you may better play it safe. I like to think I could figure it out.

"You go I go"...I'll buy that. We don't "go" without reason, but we'd "go" trying to save our family if need be. It is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
    Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  17. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Depends on two things.... How much risk? Who needs saving?

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

How much of a risk is a very good question. If you risk all to save one member, can the others survive without you? Can they carry on in a SHTF scenario if you do not make it back?

19. duane

duane Monkey+++

The whole question goes to the attitude of a paratroop captain that I knew in college in 1967. One day he disappeared and a couple days later Iseral went to war and he was in the thickest of it. When the war was over and he came back to work on his Phd, we had a long talk on the costs of modern war in both lives and money. He said that as part of his training, he had spent a night guarding the walls of the Masadah complex and thinking about the defenders all dying rather than surrender to the Romans. He said that the Germans, Poles, Russians etc had killed millions of Jews, one by one, and that if they all had to die in the attempt to save one, so be it, they would never die alone again. Jesus had a couple parables about the value of each person and God's love for each of us. The shepherd will let some one guard the sheep and go look for the lost lamb. I would hope that I would be able to send the rest to safety and go for the one that is away. It would not be an easy decision to make as reality has a bad habit of being much worse than game planning and tends to really suck.

Yard Dart and mysterymet like this.
  20. jlutzcurtis

jlutzcurtis Monkey

What can I say, this is a very complicated situation! Let me think... :unsure:

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34
  12. Meat