Xubuntu

Discussion in 'GNU/Linux' started by CATO, Jan 25, 2012.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

So I'm playing around with several different distributions all put on a thumbdrive.

Anything I should know about Xubuntu? I've had a few things that seem like the buttons don't work until I close/reopen that app, but I'm not sure.

So far, I like it though...very Apple-ly.

2. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

If you like that apple like layout I don't see anything wrong with it. I couldn't get used to it though because I still use W7 PC's. I switched to Kubuntu to maintain a more similar layout with the app menu, clock, etc.

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

The layout is nice, but honestly, I really don't care about layouts that much. I like functionality in terms of stability and ease of use. So far, this one is OK. I can't really tell if the quirks were quirks, or just my PC.

The next one I tried was PCLinuxOS. Did not like....supposedly one of its key features is its software package management tools. I couldn't get the software I normally use running and didn't feel like messing with it anymore.

Next.....

4. radpug

radpug Monkey+

Zenwalk is very user friendly, you may want to give it a try also

5. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

As far as stability and ease of use you won't really find anything better than Ubuntu and its K or X derivatives. Really seem to be the only ones truly meant for beginners and the casual user who doesn't really care to get under the hood.

6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

...not really a beginner. I've used Unix and linux in production environments in the past. I used the systems for certain jobs....once they were working, they were left alone. The last time I messed with linux was in '03 using RedHat to render business reports for a moonlighting gig.

I guess what I meant is that some distros makes things real easy, others don't.

7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I guess it depends on what software you are trying to get to work.

The package managers save you from having to compile from source although they may not have (unlikely) the exact Linux application you are looking for. I've never had much luck in running windows programs in Linux, using Wine or not. I've mostly given up on trying and have either found alternatives (98% of the time) or kept a windows laptop around or run Windows in a virtual machine.

For ease of use, I like Mint although I've liked Mint since before it was cool to like mint - circa version 2. The only thing I've ever had to tweak hardware wise in Mint was wireless and now Video.

8. Yoldering

Yoldering Monkey+++

I only use Xubuntu for older systems. It has always been really stable for me and very low on system resources...I have never had an issue with it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7