You have one pair of boots

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by mikecrom83, Jan 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mikecrom83

mikecrom83 Monkey+

Yeah I have 3 pairs of danners. Looking at a 4th pair....

Just wanted to know what everyone else was doing for the fun of it

2. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

define for the fun of it >>

3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Hopefully the pair I have is the pair that fits best, has been broken in and is comfortable to wear for extended durations. I currently have a pair of Vasque that meet that description but don't know how much longer they will last. I keep hearing about Danner so I'm probably going to need to look at them next time I'm in the market.

4. mikecrom83

mikecrom83 Monkey+

To garner information about other brands/types of footwear that I do not possess, in the form of a possibly enjoyable (for ones who choose to ponder and answer) forum question.

I'd say that sums it up...

5. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

got it

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Speaking of Danner, good discount site here Hit The Breakroom

Just create an account and they send specials to your email.... Some 50% off retail....

Yard Dart and KAS like this.
  7. mikecrom83

mikecrom83 Monkey+

Whatttttttt!

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Danner's The Breakroom is a great place to hang out for good deals!

Here's what you should know about it: There are limited quantities and the most popular sizes get gobbled up quick!

Motomom34, Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

My one pair of boots....

Danner, Gore-Tex, ankle height 4.5"

But, it would depend weather and circumstance... ;)

10. FNORDDRONF

FNORDDRONF Monkey

Vasque, custom made Asolo, Danner, Red Wing, Stanley, CAT, Wolverine, 5.11, Bates, and too many others. Some as good for their purpose(s), some not, however, none better than Kenetrek and are my preferred the last number of years.

11. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

you wanna talk about danners?;)

mikecrom83 likes this.
  12. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I am on my fourth pair of Irish setters. I believe they are called the elk hunter. 600 grams of thinsulate and gortex lined. Great boot. My summer boots are danners. Both are worth every penny. I usually do not get to spend money my family spends it for me but I have to have good boots

13. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

Danner makes a good boot. Wore a pair out on one trek. I'm currently using Irish Setter Elk Trackers. They're on their second year and are still in great shape. I'm interested to know if anyone has used any of Kenetrek's line of boots?

Brokor likes this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Danner Mountain Lights here, they are older than most people I know, and fit my feet like a glove. Heavy enough to provide support and will easily take a crampon. Light and comfortable enough to wear all day on the trail. They have a Norwegian welt, so when the sole wears out you just have it replaced.

15. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

How do the Kenetrek's footing feel on ice?

16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

My feet are absolutely horrible. They look fine, I even give myself a pedi every so often. The big toe nail shines up really sexy. But, after many long years standing at parade rest on numerous fields for hours at a time, I get severe pain all along the bottom of my feet whenever I stand for even brief periods. And, forget about walking on hard surfaces!

I spend the money on quality footwear and ortho inserts, it's worth it! No matter your survival situation, save up the money no matter what it takes, because if you have to spend money on any single item, make your boots the first thing on your list.

From my experience, any Danner boot with the stitch-down construction is warranted and can be re-purposed. They fit well, but I like my Danners to be wide. Your mileage may vary. If the Danner boots have a single, press-formed sole (like their TFX line), you should be aware they are not capable of being reconstructed/refurbished/re-purposed. They are made overseas, where the machinery required to make them is available. This doesn't mean the boots are lower quality, I own several pairs, but they do wear faster than some of the heavier-duty, non-tactical types which have stitched soles. Price range can vary, from sub $100 range to high $200's, depending on the flavor. Worth every cent. The Breakroom is a good place to find deals, just keep in mind these are sometimes seconds, and may have minor flaws. No big deal for most, but can really upset the elitist.

I also wear very expensive Bates mountaineering boots (Tora-Bora). I believe I paid around $350 for them, and the price hasn't changed much. These boots are a different genre, really. Carrying heavy loads, like a rucksack, for example, can cause a great deal of strain on the feet. These boots are more rigid, and should not be confused with hunting boots or especially hiking boots, which are lighter and more flexible. Mountaineering boots are excellent for rocky terrain, and function well for providing rigid support. If ever I intend to "bug-out", these boots would be on my feet...but I would also bring along a set of lighter Danner boots for those extended hikes on flat terrain when I may not be carrying a full load of equipment.

Ripkor, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  17. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

BATA bunny boots in the winter and Kenetrek Mountain Guides in the summer. I also have a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000's but they get cold at -10 or so.

BTPost and Ganado like this.
  18. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

The RedWing boots I bought were "custom built" comfortable when I put them on. Of course they discontinued them. Now I got a pair of cheapo Wal-Mart (yeah, yeah....but they sell things no one else for 120 miles sells) "tactical" boots (I buy my work shoes there because they are the only ones that sell what I need) that were instantly comfortable. I have my doubts about 365 use, but the twice a week workout they got for the last few months, they seem like a good buy.

I still have the Browning boots I bought in college and they are still in fine shape, but they are lined boots and too hot for the summer.

19. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I only get a year out of a pair if I'm lucky as I wear them every day. I grew tired of expensive Rocky and Danner, so now I wear Herman survivors. Still get a year out of 'em.

20. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

In the bush Danner Arcadia, Danner Olympic (they have a new name) and for the last several years and 100s of KM Italian Zamberlans. I wear Bates ICBs daily and have no complaint.

1. HK_User
  2. RJB
  3. Andy the Aussie
  4. BenP
  5. Motomom34
  6. BlueDuck
  7. Dont
  8. Brokor
  9. GrandpaDave
  10. Tracy
  11. sci
  12. E.L.