You have one pair of boots

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by mikecrom83, Jan 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Danners, but you really should have more than one pair of boots. I don't mind being that guy on the airplane with an extra pair of boots tied by the laces to his carry on bag.

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

OP If I only have one pair of boots there is no choice.

However, having several pairs of boots ,it largely depends on the time of year.
    During the winter my sorrels are my favorite largely because I have several felt liners for them.
    I have actually worn them year round, even during the summer because they deal with my sweaty feet best .
    If I had the money, I'd buy a new pair right now just to have them on hand.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Belleville boots last until the tread is warn smooth.
    I just tossed my tan Belleville boots I got back in 2007.
    Got issued 2 more pair so I'm good.

4. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

image. Gene Simmons dragon boots. (For no reason other than I always wanted a pair.) They were on my bucket list when I was 12 years old...

chelloveck, Yard Dart and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Salewa Boots have always been my GoTo for daily wear. I use the M-2 pro vertical through all seasons, and these are by far the very best boot I have ever found! They are a hard core climbing boot, but are actually really good for all hiking and and are really good for winter use! Because these are SO EXPENSIVE, I have a trick I learned while stationed over seas, I drill small holes in the heal and toe area of the tread and thread in Stainless round head screws. this lets the boot tread/sole last a lifetime! If you havnt done this trick, give it a try!

6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

upload_2016-8-3_10-45-17.
    I don't think anyone is likely to steal them off me.

Yard Dart likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Actually for some favorite boots I've used shoe goo and my shop air stapler and reattached the soles permanently.
    A lot of my work involved working at floor level on small equipment, which meant kneeling and the ball of the shoe would separate for which there is no fix.
    Even expensive Knapp shoes only lasted me a few months , it just wasn't worth it, which left me to the cheap shoes that gave me the same length service for a fraction of the price.
    I worked on boats for several years and boots just don't work out during the summer and they don't want you waling with hard soles on expensive boats .
    I'd wear boots for the winter in snow ,but the heavy work of pushing boats around on trailers by hand and moving other equipment around, any shoe I wear took a beating.
    So basically I've resorted to cheaper shoes .
    Working the ski slopes and on snow cats Sorrels did the job just fine, especially since the company helped pay for them, for all their employees . having extra liners paid off well too and I don't think I'd go to a different style boot ever again.
    I have worn my Sorrels during the summer months and the hard ground is rough on them but again having the liners really pays off because my feet sweat heavily mostly because I worked heavily ..
    Now that I'm retired I wear tennis shoes, and have several pair for trading off daily , I'm not working quite so hard and they still take a beating working around the property and riding a motorcycle and a lot of walking with my EDC back pack .
    However if it is a treck in the woods, the sorrels go back in service.

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  8. Shotgunpapa

Shotgunpapa Monkey

I wear a cheap pair from Academy sports they work for me.

9. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Goin for the Glory

Hands bown, that would be my non insulated Ft. Lewis Danner boots.

Brokor and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

The first half of 2006 (Any Aussies here? It was during the time the miners got trapped in Tassie), I spent in Australia. A friend owned a 5,000 acre farm (pretty small, as far as Australian farms go) there. Anyway, he hired me on to work grapes and such. So, I bought me a pair of Blundstones to wear, while there. Easy to put on and take off. Comfortable as well.

But, prior to and since then, there are only two ways I walk.
    Bare-feet-walking.
    OR:

ia175_1_cloudzoom.

chelloveck and Shotgunpapa like this.
  11. Shotgunpapa

Shotgunpapa Monkey

I wear Crocs for camp and crossing creeks and such love them.

12. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

You are referring to the Beaconsfield Mine incident mate. Where in Aus was your friends place ?

13. Asia-Off-Grid

I was living in Griffith, NSW. But, when time came to stay / work at the farm, I went there and stayed at the quarters for the farm hands. This was just outside Coleambally.

14. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

In my profession, I spend most of my shift on my feet moving. Others prefer tennis shoes. I prefer boots! I am reaching the end for a pair of Bates boots, that had been given to me, and I have started the search for a replacement pair. I also looked at some insulated boots, Have sorrel's and hardly wear them, However the boots I liked are the same price as a custom made pair of leather boots. But I do need none marking soles on them..

15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Georgia boots are a great working shoe... I have used them a long time in construction working on concrete all day... give them a looksee.

16. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Want to get a pair of Whites or Hawthorn's.. They are in Spokane and wouldn't have the shipping or other problems with ordering a pair of life time guaranteed boots on line.. I know I am an old fart and shouldn't worry over the guarantee, still.... Cheeper or the same price for mil. spec boots..

Have wore out a pair of georgia boots.. hard break in..

17. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

After years of wearing out cheap ChinaMart boots every year, I splurged on a pair of Georgia Boots. That was early 2000s. Wore them riding my dual sport bike, fitted with pegged billet footpegs, chewed the soles a bit, and the shifter wore a small hole in the left upper. Fixed that with a piece of leather sewn over it. Still wearing them, though the bike was worn out and now gone.
    When I buy another pair (these are still going strong) they will be Georgia Boots. I also need a large toe box, and GB has what I need. Also their sizing is good, as I wear size 15.

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Brokor and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  19. avagdu

avagdu Monkey++

Lowa Renegade GTX Mid

Brokor and Motomom34 like this.
  20. Asia-Off-Grid

I miss my Blundstones. I had a pair I bought while in Oz. I took them to Cebu when I returned to the Philippines in December, 2006. Wore them until they were worn out. Some of the best boots I ever owned.

Don't forget boot covers!
    boot_cover.

chelloveck and Brokor like this.
  1. HK_User
  2. RJB
  3. Andy the Aussie
  4. BenP
  5. Motomom34
  6. BlueDuck
  7. Dont
  8. Brokor
  9. GrandpaDave