Your biggest obstacle to getting home...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Witch Doctor 01, Apr 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

During 9-11, my sister worked right down the street from ground zero. All tunnels, mass transit, bridges were shut down. No phones, no way home. She had to walk @10 miles home. I wished she had had one of those battery driven long boards or razor scooters for the ride home. If she had one at work or in her trunk, it would have saved a long walk (unarmed female) home.

2. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Not much other than 1500 miles, 5 states -ish a few small "cricks" like the Columbia River and the Colorado River ...........the Casscades, Sierra Nevada's, and oh oh oh Donner Pass(good eatin there I hear ...)

Gator 45/70 and Meat like this.
  3. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Has anyone tried to get home with their BOB?

Mountainman likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

No! It would take a day+ maybe. I have 20 miles between work & home. A test run is not something I would do. Have you?

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

But at least..... there are several Monkey's in this area that would give you safe harbor, at least until you are ready to travel and be properly fitted for the journey. ;)

Witch Doctor 01 and AD1 like this.
  6. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Yea but I have never seen any of them..... They keep hiding in the tree everytime I come near ;)

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Workaholic..... [booze]

Ganado and AD1 like this.
  8. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

On two fronts. Next trip.

Witch Doctor 01 and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

I haven't walked it I have ridden all of the possible roadways multiple times and picked out some possible locations to shelter over night if necessary. I don't relish the thought of 4-5 days walking the swamp route...

kellory, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I usually leave my van at work and hoof it or ride my bike home at least a couple of times a year...plus some regular day-hikes/rides and overnight camping trips using the same gear.

You can do 20 miles in a day. Try it (with backup of course)...not only will you learn a lot about your gear and your route, you'll also build confidence in your abilities.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2016
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Volume needed to get a decent yield... figure 10%

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

im kinda doing the math here i walk about 10k steps a day sometimes more, sometimes less and I have a 30" stride. So that is 25,000 feet or 4.73 miles, you boys must be in better shape than me if you can do 20 miles a day. CUz the way I figure it it would take me 12 hours to walk 20 mile with water an all and as you tire it might take up to 15 or 20 depending on how much Ihad to rest

T. Riley likes this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I'm only 4 or 5 minutes driving home. Probably 20 minutes walking via shortcut through the woods. My pack may contain a few helpful items if I do get in a pickle. :D

Ganado likes this.
  14. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

Attitude. The hardest part of dealing with a crisis is getting yourself mentally prepared to steal any resource you'll need to survive.

William Warren

15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Walking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Distance = rate x time. Distance divided by rate = time.

Picking 2.8 the slowest pedestrian walking speed and a distance or 20 miles: 20/2.5 = 7.143 hours. 1.5 MPH would be 13.333.3 hours.

T. Riley and Ganado like this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i see my calculations were off =) thanks @Tikka

Tikka likes this.
  17. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^Boo. :D

Ganado likes this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have a 5 mile circuit I walk from time to time right here at home and I do that in 1 hour.
    A reality here is. It will not be smooth sailing. There will be dentures along the way post some catastrophic event
    The trick is finding some place to rest or sleep .whether it is a test trip or the real thing.

19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Apache were known for RUNNING 70 miles in a day, at least at times. I have known a lot of people who think that that is an extraordinary distance to travel on a HORSE...and remember that the Athenian at Marathon who died after running 26...

20. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Someone post up the time for this SHTF .
    I might not be it the the correct country that I was getting it all setup to ride it over.
    Plus I live on an Island .
    Sloth

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7