72+ hour kit - NOT an INCH bag

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by medicineman, Mar 22, 2017.

1. medicineman

medicineman Survival Guru

The following is a list of items I have in my BOB.
    Some are "transitional" and stay home on trips.
    Some are essential and ALWAYS remain.

I can go 72+ hours (have done as long as three weeks recently) on this loadout and want for nothing in the wild.

The carry gear is 1980's military "ALICE" LBE, tough and proven, and I will stick to what I know. But you can use whatever you wish.
    But you can't beat it for the price.

Add to this or take away.
    Pack it as you desire.

For the SouthEast U.S. it is a pretty good "kit".

INDIVIDUAL Full Gear List
    Summer Pack

1. 1 pair sturdy boots
    2. 2 - Pants, subdued color, cargo style (1 sturdy cotton & 1 light ripstop poplin)
    3. 2 - t-shirts
    4. 1 fleece shirt (hooded or unhooded)
    5. 3 pairs socks
    6. 2 hats (1 brimmed, 1 knit watchcap)
    7. 4 bandanas (36" x 36")
    8. 1 pair light gloves (mechanic gloves work great)
    9. 1 light outdoor jacket
    10. 2 pairs underwear (BOXERS can be worn as shorts)
    11. poncho
    12. poncho liner / "woobie"
    13. 2 face mask/shemaugh
    14. 1 pair of light Camp shoes/sandals
    15. 1 dark color terrycloth towel
    16. prescription eye glasses

Winter Pack (add to above loadout)
    1. coat (heavy)
    2. insulated pants
    3. 1 pair of winter gloves
    4. 1 trapper’s hat with ear protection
    5. 1 thermal underwear (long)
    6. Heavy insulated waterproof boots

Personal Gear
    1. Compass
    2. Sunglasses (tinted safety glasses)
    3. binoculars
    4. Maps (topographical)
    5. Bug spray/mosquito repellant.
    6. small NOAA emergency radio (wind-up preferred)
    7. matches/lighters
    8. Wallet/personal papers/ID
    9. first aid kit (my own personal contents list)
    10. Leather work gloves
    13. Wind-up Flashlights (2)
    14. LED head lamp w/ extra batteries
    15. Sunscreen/chap stick
    16. ferro rod & firestarting kit

Shelter & Bedding
    1. 12 x 12 poly ground tarp (under layer)
    2. 20×20 poly tarp
    3. 550 paracord
    4. lightweight sleeping bag
    5, small Nylon 2 man tent OR small nylon tarp for expedient shelter
    6. 1 heavy plastic painters dropcloth
    7. hammock
    8. light rope
    9. Several large heavy duty trash bags
    11. pins/pegs for tent/tarp
    12. small bag of Assorted nails (10 or 12)

Cooking
    1. large pot, including lid (at least 2 quart OR as large as you can fit in gear)
    2. lightweight stainless steel frying pan
    3. pot scrubber/scour pad
    4. metal bowl/pan for eating
    5. utencil set spoon/fork/knife
    6. small bottle DAWN concentrated
    7. P38 can opener
    8. about 12 One GALLON sized ziplock bags
    9. Large spoon for cooking
    10. can of sterno Fuel
    11. HEAVY Aluminum Foil
    12. SECOND ferro rod & firestarting kit

Hygiene
    1. 1 Large bar soap
    2. 1 toothpaste
    3. 1 face cloth
    4. 1 toothbrush
    5. 1 soap
    6. 1 shaving razor (and blades)
    7. towel
    8. comb/brush
    9. Manicure set (clippers, tweesers, small scissors)
    10. Roll of TP & 4 "toilet rags"
    11. small mirror
    12. foot powder

Hunting/Defense
    1. fishing kit (tailor to your A.O.)
    2. 1 trotline rig
    3. rifle and 7 loaded magazines
    4. Pistol with holster and 5 loaded magazines
    5. 50 rounds pistol ammunition
    6. 60 rounds H.P. rifle ammunition (hunting loads)
    7. weapon cleaning/repair kit
    (optional)
    8. I sometimes throw the .22 Buckmark and 200 rounds into my pack for small game.

Food (customize to your wishes and ability to carry)
    1. beef jerky (protein)
    2. dried beans mix (your preference)
    3. rice (plain ol white)
    4. sugar (White granulated)
    5. chocolate or candies (Simple/complex sugars)
    6. salt & seasoning
    7. trail mix (raisins, m&m’s and peanuts)
    8. flour (white self rising)
    9. Vac-Packs of tuna
    10. Small bottle veg oil
    11.Water Filtration, purification device/tablets

Tools
    1. pocket knife
    2. folding knife
    3. sheath knife
    4. Leatherman multi-tool
    5. sharpening kit
    6. small shovel/trowel (metal or plastic)
    7. small sewing kit including gear repair items/findings
    8. several carabiners
    9. Kukri
    10. folding saw
    11. Hand ax
    12. 1 small roll of duct tape

Carry Gear
    Large military Alice Pack w/ Frame
    LBE - "alice" belt and suspenders WITH 2 mag pouches, Holster and pistol mag pouches, Compass/FA pouches, Buttpack, and 2 One quart canteens with cups and stoves

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Pretty heavy looking kit. And a LOT of bandana-like objects, in excess of 6, so why carry 2 hats, etc? I'd also get a heavier duty tarp if it was me, but we get a lot of rough weather.

3. medicineman

4 "bandannas" - The "cowboy multi tool"
    2- "face masks" - one is camouflage for hunting and the other is moisture wicking face warmer
    VERY little weight or taken up space in pack for the many uses.

Hat for wearing out and about.
    Knit "toboggan" is for keeping head warm while sleeping.

The tarpS are lightweight and keep the WET off.
    That is it's main purpose.
    If you wait, I am going to post more about my setup/gear and will include pics of my "camp" and you can see how it all goes together.
    I just decided to do this tonight at work and don't have all ready yet.

4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Excellent list for car or to carry with a game cart. At 79 I wouldn't make the end of the driveway with that much weight in a back pack.

5. medicineman

try an ATV or other motorized transport.
    LOL
    At a "banged up" 51 I don't do well anymore myself.

6. shaman

shaman Monkey++

I'm going to load this up in my survival wheelbarrow.

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

72 hours = 3 days (with the possibility of it being "I'm never coming home/ INCH)

If you're accepting constructive input, I may be able to accommodate. If you're set in your ways and won't listen to suggestions, that is fine also. We have plenty of old dogs around here. :) In the end if you will tote around what you wish, no matter what anybody else tells you, that's all on you. I would like to add that we have more experience on this forum combined than I can possibly ever count, and I have humped the very same ruck that you admire over very long distances in every type of weather, just like many around this forum, and unlike some I absolutely loath everything ALICE, with good reason. There once was a time long ago when I loved it for its durability, despite the great discomfort it provided. I carried this belief not only because of my training, but because I simply never owned modern, expensive packs to actually compare it to. So, if you can take anything away from this diatribe of mine, please consider my words in earnest, as they are not intended to provoke. These are my recommendations for a replacement pack: Webtex PLCE Bergen, Kifaru, Kelty Falcon, USMC Arcteryx ILBE, and many more which are similar to these. -More information here: BOB recommendations | Survival Monkey Forums

Why? Modern armies around the world have switched to updated (and hence modern) load bearing systems, especially backpacks. Their research has found that the traditional approach to "one size WILL fit all" when it comes to tactical loadouts could use some improvement. The ALICE pack, although rugged and dependable, simply wasn't designed to be comfortable. It wasn't designed to fit a specific body, only a wide range of body types, and the adjustments are severely limited. Additionally, these packs are external frame design, which means they are more suited for flat terrain, not mountainous regions and thick forests like an internal frame pack. Even with flat terrain, the load is distributed poorly with the ALICE pack, and this will cause extreme fatigue and injury with extended use. Packing your bag is important, and even if you do keep most of the heavy items in the proper place, this ALICE bag will sway and rock and dig and gouge you all day long. The new military packs of the U.S., Australia, UK, and several other nations are many times more useful because they offer fully adjustable shoulder straps which are thicker and well padded, as well as added lumbar support and (if external framed) an ergonomic designed frame to aide in carrying heavy loads. Some custom packs (like I listed above) and military packs can go even farther with features to provide for better water carry capabilities and form a better fit to your body so the load is distributed properly. The materials used to make these new packs supersede even the venerable ALICE by a fairly large margin.

Additional helpful advice and assistance to update some of those outdated items:
    Handbooks, Guides & How-to - SM Ultimate Bug Out Master List (Help Tool) | Survival Monkey Forums
    Handbooks, Guides & How-to - The 10 C Checklist at Survival Monkey | Survival Monkey Forums

As for your contents, I cannot really condemn anybody's preferences if it's what they really feel is best, but I do recommend wool clothing and base layer clothing in either wool or synthetic material to wick away moisture. You can also decrease weight by wearing your extended travel clothing since it's comprised of wool and not pack extras since wool resists odor, is naturally antibacterial, and maintains warmth even when it is wet. We have more on wool here at the forum if you are interested in some suggestions on what to wear. I would also do away with some of the disposable items (liquid soap, bar soap, toothpaste) for various reasons such as the fact they can (and have as I have experienced) rupture inside your pack, and once they are used up, that's it. Again, we have information on the forum regarding solutions to these issues such as using tooth powder and washing your pots and pans with hard wood ash and the fats from your meal which creates a crude soap. In essence, the more we learn to adapt to the natural environment and are able to institute well practiced routines along the line of bushcraft and survival, the less we actually need to carry...because knowledge weighs nothing and counts for everything.

medicineman, Oltymer, Airtime and 2 others like this.
  8. medicineman

I don't "do" wool.
    Or more to the point, wool "does" me.
    I'd look like a walking advertisement for shingles

9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Yeah, there is this thing called "summer weight" wool all the kids aren't using...a pair of pants made out of it will go a LONG way when its 60F-70F or lower. Gotta remember, a lot of these people seem to think summer peaks at 50F...haha.

Brokor likes this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Smart wool - merino wool - gluten free wool.
    No, I made that last one up.

11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Merino is better fror providing heat than regular wool, but confers NO insulative value when wet, unlike wool, which confers up to 80% even when fully saturated.

12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Merino is not wool? Hm. Learn something new today, I did.

Brokor likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Wool Is a great tool for winter weather but cotton is better for summer.
    Over working wool can end it's service early, same with any fabric for that matter .
    Depending on the event clothing changes will take place for things much more practical and wear resistant .
    Unless your carrying a sewing machine with you or an loom your fabrics will begin to shred and deteriorate .
    leather, though much heavier may become the clothing of the future ,or kevlar if you can find it .
    Depending on conditions and one's innovative capabilities and available materials ,fashion aside , some choices for clothing may have to lean to the practical over the fashionable.
    In a post apocalyptical theater wearing loosely fitting clothing is likely to be the mode of choice in order to hide things your carrying and defensive capabilities .
    Take a gilley suit , it hides one's shape in many ways.
    I believe that in certain circumstances a woman would rather be mistaken for a man to avoid unnecessary confrontation.
    As for the list of gear, I made a cart that can be assembled at random to fit the need as required and re fit in transit if necessary.
    If your in a group and or have little ones a cart goes a log way in keep them out of danger walking on their own . Also if some one is injured along the way ,its far easer to keep moving with a good cart. DSCN4138.JPG
    I used ridged conduit ,and fittings sold for awnings , so they can be configured to almost any need . the only fixed part is the axil .
    This will handle well over 300# and it rolls with ease all over the property with that weight.
    The wheel chair tires are solid (need no air) so there are no worries of flat tires.
    no parts are much larger than the tires diameter so they store easily . separate the parts to store in vacant spots in the vehicle, or combine them in a bag of it's own.
    It can also be one's bed or a shelter or wind break the possibilities are endless .including storage with in the tubing it's self.
    I have also considered having wood for slats both for floor an walls held with para-cord or other available fasteners.
    This unit i have designed to articulate with the terrain so support remains @ 100% at all times ,the frame endures less stress .
    (BY the way the green tarp in the back ground, is boat shrink wrap, roughly 25 years old and still functional . That piece is covering my 265 gallon water tank sitting on a 500 gallon, full watering trough. )
    If I have to bug out ,I'm taking a good size sample of that material for shelter. Even as old as it is .

14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I pack my "injun clothes" with me. Breechclout, leggings, hunting shirt...not a lot of environments it won't cover (worn the same wool at 100F as at 18F). Rugged service, easy to replicate out of basically any "clothing" material, comfortable in most weather conditions, and utterly despised by civilized society. Haha.

15. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

This guy just breathed a sigh of relief
    [​IMG]

16. shaman

shaman Monkey++

Do we have an estimated weight on this BOB from hell?

Look, I used to do canoeing in places like the Boundary Waters. I used to pack the food for mulitple people for multiple days, and then carry it on a single Freighter Frame. My top end was 110 lbs at the ingress with a target of under 20lbs left at egress. That made for a HARD first day for any portages. In fact we tried to do our long portages late in the trip so we'd get a chance to burn off some of our consumables before hitting long portages with lots of altitude change.

My point is this: heavy loads are grueling if you're not training with it on a regular basis. Furthermore, I don't think I ever humped more than 110 lbs more than 2 miles on any 1 portage. That was at 25. At 45, I was down to 55 lbs and living on Ibuproven for the duration. If you've got that much for 72 hours afield, there had better be a good reason to be humping that much gear. Training for taking that much on your back will do permanent things to your knee joints. I know. I wake up to it every morning.

Let me just say this: unless you've had a Baker's Cyst blow late in the day on day one of a three day backpacking trip and know how to get out on just one leg, do not attempt a big load like this. For me, I made it back to the car late that evening and was able to drive home, but I had to be lifted from the car and couldn't put weight on the leg for 3 days thereafter. If I'd tried to shelter in place, the leg would have stiffened up so bad, I would have had to either wait for rescue or crawl out.

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

You never know the nature of the event that takes you from home , even the loss of the home it's self.
    Having the capacity to cary on a cart, more than you can cary normally ,gives one the options of taking all they can, and making decisions along the way; trading, or cashing, or casting off the absolutely unnecessary.
    If you think it's foolish to have a sink think again how you feet are going to endure all that work and no relief . I pack a folding vinyl sink for washing and medical and resting the old dogs .
    If some where along the way one or more of your party are injured then what? seriously .

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. DKR
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. Motomom34
  6. ED GEiN
  7. AxesAreBetter
  8. Oltymer
  9. Imasham
  10. Witch Doctor 01
  11. Legion489
  12. TailorMadeHell
  13. DarkLight
  14. DarkLight
  15. melbo