An epiphany on Bug Out Bags

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TheJackBull, Aug 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

over the course of the last few months I've been trying to work out the whole bug out bag thing. so many bags to consider. from what is kept at work and in the trunk to what is at home. oh and the "INCH" bag and phewey... so much info to process. Ive been stressing over having the perfect built bag. I scoured the web. I've visited with friends and family trying to figure out the best bag, even going as far as having them empty and repack the bag so I can see the contents and order of packing. I don't think I've put this much effort into anything else my entire life. I don't know why Id obsessed over it so much. even people on this forum have suggested that I try not to over think it. just start and go with trial and error.

stress and research
    stress and research
    stress and research

Until the other day when BAM it hit me! Hello! Hi! How are you!

Im an outdoors man. A hunter, fisher, and all around rec. kinda guy. This is easy. Ive hiked hundreds of miles from the Rockies to the Alaskan Boundary Range. I've been from the swamps and Glades of Florida and Georgia to the blistering sun of southern Utah and four corners area. I've got this!

So here it is. countless times I've packed for light afternoon hikes. Hikes that take most of the day. Camping trips from 2 days to week long adventures! How this escaped me was baffling! Ive packed tons of BOB's I just called them by another name!

I hope this helps someone out there who like me has wasted time "over analyzing" such a simple task. now some things will need to adapt from "camping" to "surviving" like first aid upgrades and shelter/entrenching tools but for the most part its all there!

for fine tuning it all I plan on making cards that will, number my packs, give a starting location or scenario, and a goal or destination. then draw at random and end up with something similar to this,
    card 1
    "you arrive home from work and the rioting has begun in your area, your neighbors house has been looted police station is on fire. you must leave and await national guard."
    card 2
    "you have time to grab bag 3."
    card 3
    " you must go to rally point Charlie on foot to meet friends. stay 2 days"

but anyway...

just wanted to share my thoughts.
    thanks all

Motomom34, chelloveck, GOG and 5 others like this.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Why a great way to look at this. Please let us know how it turns out and I really like the drill cards idea.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

I think the cards will keep it interesting!

chelloveck likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I look at it in a similar way. I've been a hunter for more than 40years, there is very little I can't handle while hunting, so beside, Adding a few extra supplies, how much different could it really be?

chelloveck and fmhuff like this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Interesting approach. Sometimes the simplest concepts are the right ones. You should be right on track with your goal as long as you take the time to put it to the test. Go hiking with your BOB and see if it's right for you. Every setup you have may require this or not, it all depends on your level of comfort with the idea. Some folks do keep more than one bag for a broad range of possibilities, this is not a bad idea. Don't ever let anybody discourage you from trying out new ideas and trying to maximize your potential.

For more information to help your research (or for anybody interested), at the bottom of this topic there will be related threads for Bug Out Bags.

chelloveck likes this.
  6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I like the card approach. I'm an inveterate list maker. My mom used to tease me because I would make a Saturday errand list that included every step of my day from breakfast to bedtime. I find it helps me stay organized and proceed with an economy of motion.

I'm the same way when I pack for a trip whether it be a 3-day or a 3 month. Lists of everything I need to pack. If I didn't do that, I would probably end up taking 6 pair of socks but only 1 set of skivvies and I'd forget my toothbrush but throw 3 tubes of toothpaste int he bag.

chelloveck likes this.
  7. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

one thing i want to adjust is my stoves. I have a couple different backpack stoves I've acquired over the years. but i just got a Kellykettle to try the natural fuel side of things. anyone with experience packing these?

Brokor likes this.
  8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yup, a few here use the KK. I love mine. Here's a recent review I made on it: Gear Review - Kelly Kettle (Volcano Kettle) Review

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The Kelly is huge volume with little weight, takes up space in the ruck. You could fill it and have it do double duty as a water container while on the move --

10. tract

tract On Hiatus Banned

I just nestle a pair of 2 qt canteen cups. I don't like stopping, or making fires all the time, cause all i've got is a little 1 quart cooker. I don't like the little bitty stoves that can only cook with such a little pot. I dig a dakota pit or a creekbank stove, and get enough water boiled and enough cooking done tht I only have to do it once per day. I use one aluminum canteen, so I can heat it in the fire if need be (carefully and seldom) and the rest of the water is in a collapsible bladder. So the sloshing noise is kept to a minimum.

chelloveck likes this.
  11. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I have to say, I really enjoy the recent posts of tract (gunkid/meyah). I have been laughing all morning as I check out the sudden flight of thoughts. Nothing at all can change in the writing style after so many years of entertainment. I am amazed at the ability to say so much in such small posts that are absolutely no help what so ever.

12. A BOB or whatever a person wants to call it is simply a sack-o-stuff. I am a proponent of developing universal preps around a static location(home) and a mobile element(car) which is the proverbial "lifeboat". The only difference is that my home preps are based on weeks and the sack-o-stuff in my car is based on hours. In the car I currently use a 20 x 15 x 5 plastic tub for ease of access but I do have a med sized 5.11 pack in the trunk as well, if the need arises.

chelloveck likes this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The only reason I'm bugging out is if I am not coming back .

Brokor, Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I stopped carrying my backpack into work everyday. I now leave it in the back of my car beside a plastic tub of "stuff". Between what is in my bag and the tub depending on season, scenario and passengers, I feel prepared. I can swap out things, add them as needed. I can make up a bag of supplies easily for my passenger.

kellory, Ganado, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have 2 carts,
    One for the bike and one for the car.
    These are for if the EMP or CME take out transportation and I am on foot, away from home.
    The both assemble on site and can be configured to fit the gear available in/on that vehicle .
    The one for the car can handle an injured person and gear, made from a wheel chair and awning parts.
    Having it and not needing it is just fine with me , but I'd hate to be at some distance and have to leave valuable stuff behind even if it is eventually used as barter.
    Face it, If you have nothing to barter, your more vulnerable.
    With the probability of economic collapse ,cash/credit won't mean much.
    The closer you get to point B, you can cast off, cache' ,leave stuff behind .
    In the event point B is taken you can come back to you cache and retrieve it and move on.

16. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Just got a new Bug Out bag - looks like this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm too old with bad knees to even consider humping ruck anymore.

I keep a couple of travel bags in it - so If I have to catch the FTS express, we're good. Otherwise, I can drive to my rural property. In the mean time, it's my daily driver.

I keep 4 days worth of chow etc in it in case we have another big quake....

IOW, I don't carry anything to work - I drive my (backup) house to work.

T. Riley, Yard Dart, Brokor and 3 others like this.
  17. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^That's cool. My commuter is a Honda Accord. It's got a few surprises in it but nothing like you have. [afro]

18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

DKR... your lights are on. ;)
    I am thinking more of a 2.5 ton with an old comm shelter on it... but the Boss gets all weird when I bring it up.... [loco]

19. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Blame the Feds - the mandated daytime driving lights cannot be turned off. Turn the key to raise a window and the lights come on as a bonus...

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Interesting with the cards - I'll need to try it to trigger dry run exercises.
    I also used my back packing gear as the basis for my GHB vs the BOB. Dropped the comfort/convenience items such as cooking gear, "real" tent, sleeping bag/pad, etc.Then gamed out the requirements to hoof it home in a less-than-welcoming situation. I planned on five days, (40+ miles), given my speed of advance over broken ground with potentially a lousy security situation, and avoiding people as much as possible. That's only eight miles/day, but what if snow?, curfew?, injury? During an SERE exercise, far too many years ago I waited eight hours to cross one @#!& roadway.
    It all fits in a 5.11-12 ruck with room to spare, and weighs in at ~13 lb without water or weapons. Of course I have to mess with it every month or so, but using it exactly as pulled from the daily driver trunk I find I'm relatively comfortable with the contents on a 3 day hike.

chelloveck and RightHand like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. 3M-TA3
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  6. Thunder5Ranch
  7. Motomom34
  8. ED GEiN
  9. AxesAreBetter
  10. medicineman
  11. Oltymer
  12. Imasham
  13. H.I.S Survival
  14. Witch Doctor 01
  15. Legion489
  16. phorisc
  17. melbo