Ancient Chinese secret or ...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by GhettoPass, May 6, 2015.

1. GhettoPass

GhettoPass Monkey+

Was this a big mystery to just me? Just discovered granular calcium hypochlorite and its water purification value. I can now make my wife happy this Mothers day by getting rid of the bottles of bleach in the basement.
    Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water

2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

A couple threads about here in the tree.

3. GhettoPass

GhettoPass Monkey+

I did a search before posting and came up with nothing. Maybe I've got another ancient secret to work on, using the search engine.

DarkLight and vonslob like this.
  4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Not a problem. Most forums have better search directly through google (site:survivalmonkey.com pool shock). Glad you found it, wherever it came from and pulling this to the top of the recent threads is never a bad idea.

One thing to note, there are a couple of brands out there that, while they have calcium hypochlorite as their main/active ingredient, you don't want something with really weird inert ingredients. For example, there is one pool shock out there that is a "6-in-1" that includes epsom salts. This is not something I personally want included as part of the 27% (assuming you are using 73% Cal Hypo) and as such added to my water.

I need to find a local place that has just the normal Cal Hypo.

On a different note, how long do we think it will still be on the market as such before the .gov pushes for all the pool shock stuff to be some other chemical, thus preventing us from making our own bleach and cleaning our own water?

GhettoPass likes this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

There is a pool supply company, near my office. I think I shall stop in soon for a pound or two. Thank you.

DarkLight likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Links previously discussing CH:
    Shelf Life and Food Storage Information | Survival Forums

Let's talk bleach | Survival Forums
    Advanced Preps | Survival Forums

BTPost and sec_monkey like this.
  7. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

As noted here before, you can often find the pool shock on clearance in the big box stores in September as they move out the summer fun stuff and bring in the Halloween and Christmas decorations.

In addition to the calcium hypochlorite, pick up the simplest pool water test kit. You can now measure the chlorine concentration in the water and be sure that you got the mix right. I have seen these for as cheap as a buck on clearance at summer's end. I usually pick up a new one or two each year to be sure it is fresh and will be accurate.

AT

DarkLight, Dont, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  8. kellory

I stopped in to get a couple pounds worth, but was surprised to see metallic copper listed in the ingredients. (If I recall correctly, copper is not good for you at all) IMG_20150511_145248233.

9. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

That is not the stuff you want. It doesn't have calcium hypochlorite and the copper is for longer term algae control. You want this stuff:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S85M8A/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WKM4A0/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009S85LEA/?tag=survivalmonke-20

You also want to get one of these (watch for them on clearance end of the session)
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FGU2KU/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038YL4M8/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Have fun.
    AT

Ganado and kellory like this.
  10. kellory

Thanks, but that is enough for 600,000 gallons! :eek: (but may still do it);)

11. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Yeah, some of those may be for larger pools etc.
    TKO labeling says, "A 73% Cal Hypo pool shock, one easy-to-use 1 lb. pouch treats 15,000 gallons."
    In The Swim labeling says, " 68% Calcium Hypochlorite. Weekly Dosage: 1 lb. per 10,000 gallons."

I bought several (in case one got wet, etc) 1 pound single packs, it might have been HTH brand, I think at Walmart last year for like 5-6 bucks a pack, it was at end of session.

As you see above there is some variation in dosing rates, hence get the test kit and remove the guess work. Basic test kit price end of session was something like 3-4 bucks at WallyWorld but I have seen them on clearance for less.

AT

kellory likes this.
  12. GhettoPass

GhettoPass Monkey+

You can save your whole neighborhood by making clean water. I got some from Walmart yesterday, think I'll get some more to distribute at church.

13. kellory

If you intend to hand it out to others, make SURE you give clear instructions on use, or some dang fool will try drinking the stock!!:eek: that would come back to haunt you mentally, morally, and legally.!!

GhettoPass likes this.
  1. Navyair
  2. Ganado
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. oil pan 4