Great Lakes Water To Be Sold To China As Half Of U.S. Faces Extreme Water Crisis

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Mar 10, 2016.

?
  1. I have a couple of cases of bottled water.

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. I have barrels of water stored.

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I have a rain catchment system in place.

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. I have a well on solar power.

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I collect water from my local streams and lakes.

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  6. I intend on using city water supplies.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. I have lifestraws and purification tablets... I will be okay.

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  8. I know how to get water from plants & trees.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  9. I have a Big Berkey.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. I have no water stored.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

What in the world is Barack Obama thinking? At a time when the United States is facing the greatest water crisis that it has ever known, Obama is allowing water from the Great Lakes to be drained, bottled and shipped to China and other countries around the globe. Right now, the Great Lakes hold approximately 21 percent of the total supply of fresh water in the entire world. Considering the fact that global water supplies are becoming extremely tight, that is an invaluable resource. One recent UN report projected that two-thirds of the people in the world will be dealing with “water stress” and 1.8 billion people will be facing “absolute water scarcity” by the year 2025. So why are we allowing foreign corporations such as Nestle to make millions upon millions of dollars pumping water out of the Great Lakes and selling it overseas? Considering the massive worldwide water crisis that we know is coming in the years ahead, shouldn’t we be doing everything that we can to protect this precious natural resource?

Most Americans don’t realize this, but earlier this year water levels in Lake Huron and Lake Michigan were at their lowest levels ever recorded. The following is from a recent article by Suzanne Eovaldi

“Two of the Great Lakes have hit their lowest water levels EVER RECORDED,” the US Army Corps of Engineers reported early this year. Corps measurements taken in January of 2013 “show Lake Huron and Lake Michigan have reached their lowest ebb since record keeping began in 1918.” The chief watershed hydrology expert warns Americans that “We’re in an extreme situation.”

So what is causing all of this? Well, of course most of the water that leaves the Great Lakes is lost by evaporation. But the fact that water is being steadily pumped out of the Great Lakes and sold overseas is certainly not helping matters

“Plunging water levels are beyond anyone’s control,” says another expert, James Weakley. But in one of our most popular posts, last year we warned, “Lake Michigan water is being shipped by boat loads over to China! By using a little known loophole in the 2006 Great Lakes Compact, Obama minions are allowing Nestle Company to export precious fresh water out of Lake Michigan to the tune of an estimated $500,000 to $1.8 million per day profit.”

All of this is happening at a time when the U.S. is getting ready to deal with the greatest water crisis this nation has ever known.

For example, according to a Reuters article from just a few weeks ago, the state of California is currently experiencing the driest year ever recorded

To nurture his acres of pistachio trees, Tom Coleman has long relied on water from California’s mountain-ringed reservoirs, fed by Sierra streams and water pumped from the massive Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

But the driest year on record has left the reservoirs so depleted – and the delta so fragile – that state water officials say they may be able to provide just 5 percent of the water he and others were expecting for next year.

This water shortage is causing massive problems all over the state. Just check out how a recent Fresno Bee articledescribed what is happening to Pine Flat Reservoir…

Pine Flat Reservoir is a ghost of a lake in the Fresno County foothills — a puddle in a 326 billion-gallon gorge.

Holding only 16% of its capacity, Pine Flat is the best example of why there is high anxiety over the approaching wet season.

Gone is the healthy water storage that floated California through two dry years. Major reservoirs around the state need gully-washing storms this winter.

And further east, similar things are happening. Lake Powell is fed by the once mighty Colorado River, and at this point the flow of water into the lake has been reduced to a “trickle”

After 14 years of drought, Lake Powell is less than half full.

Water flows into Lake Powell, nestled between Utah and Arizona, from high in the Rocky Mountains via the Colorado River. More than 30 million people in seven states depend on the mighty Colorado for water to grow crops, fuel power plants and keep cities such as Las Vegas alive. But this year, the worst drought in a century has slowed the flow to a trickle.

In August, the federal Bureau of Reclamation cut, by 9 percent, the amount of water people in the southwestern United States could draw from Lake Powell. As states and counties squabble over their allotment of water in the coming years, hydroelectric plants (including the one on the Hoover Dam) could idle, and farmers are bracing for reduced crop production.
    Great Lakes Water To Be Sold To China As Half Of U.S. Faces Extreme Water Crisis

Witch Doctor 01, Motomom34 and Brokor like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Now THERE is a pie in the sky publication. Gad.

Tikka likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

But the point is still the same.. we are bottling water from lakes that are at very low levels and selling it over seas.....
    Got you on the Pub.... but you can search it out, it is a fact about what is taking place.

4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

We have a well and a spring that fills 2 ponds.

At the camp site:
    [​IMG]

Motomom34, Yard Dart and stg58 like this.
  5. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

No one owns any water, or has any rights to water, except for the moment. The Federal Government is working VERY hard right now to take possession of ALL water rights, and take the title to ALL water wherever located entirely unto itself. When that happens, as it surely will, we will ALL become water slaves by the stroke of a pen.

It make take the stroke of a different and much mightier pin to put a stop to this.

3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Does this mean that our Great Lakes Monkeys should go take a Good Leak, to send it to China....

7. ghrit

In a manner of speaking, that's true. More than one dot gov subdivision is trying to claim it has jurisdiction over this and that sub section of water. EPA is engaged in a grab that could extend to drainage ditches, even those that are completely clean. COE is stretching the definition of navigable waters. And more. Your representatives will make the issues go away or explode; we shall see.

8. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

kellory, VisuTrac and Yard Dart like this.
  9. duane

duane Monkey+++

Well why don't we just turn of Niagara Falls and stop the flow out into the Atlantic. It isn't much, only 5 million cubic feet or so per second on average, or about 35 million gallons. The above article is yet another "green" attempt to limit our impact on the world and trivalize everything but their goals. California is a different case and water in the west is a major problem, but the amount flowing out of the rivers in the east is beyond belief. I guess that the government desire for control is a better reason to claim the water rights than a need for water.

10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'm not quite sure what the panic is all about....I thought selling stuff at a profit was at the essence of American capitalism....that and fighting government over-reach...so, if a bunch of investors want to make some money selling water to the Chinese, or anyone else for that matter, why should they be stopped??? let Adam Smith's invisible hand....directing the market determine how much and at what price, good ol' American lake water is sold to. The very idea of regulatin', the sale of water in containers to orientals......how absurd.:rolleyes:

However, if one is to save the lake water in any significant way, and reduce expensive waste of water resources....reduce or eliminate the outrageous subsidies paid to Big Ag, that the tax payers foot the bill for. Reducing subsidies will force Big Ag to meet the real costs of using water, instead of taxpayers digging into their pockets to prop up investor dividends.

Our crazy farm subsidies, explained

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    gundog10 likes this.
  12. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

The water sold amounts to what? 1/16 of an inch water level difference?

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@chelloveck
    The Chinese have $$ and are investing there here to make even more $$. Locally a bottle of spring water, not processed lake water, sells for $1 to $1.59. Evian is very popular, have you ever spelled Evian backwards?
    I get naive.. ;);)
    If I want spring water, I'll walk down the hill and fill a bottle or turn on the faucet. If I want tap water, I'll buy what comes from the Great Lakes.

I doubt the Chinese will export water. Same as the Europeans and others, they have cash to invest and America is for sale and at bargain prices.

14. ghrit

LMAO. The idea of exporting water to a continent, what, 5000 miles away from the source is simply over the top. If the Chinese or anyone else wants to buy our water, well, let's hear the offer to build the infrastructure to carry it. I don't care if they buy cases of drinking water, that's just fine with me. It's also fine with me if they own the bottling plants and pay our workers to bottle, case, and transport to the container facility for export.

Now then, it's a different matter getting water to our own southwest or other drought areas. That would take a bit more study, and the process of getting St. Lawrence river water to SoCal would not be as simple as a pipeline over the Rockies. Even with that, there is some merit if SoCal foots the bill. (And yes, I know that Canada has some say over what happens to Great Lakes water ---. Hm. I wonder if SoCal would be interested in Chicago River water. Or maybe that sewer outfall that runs under NYC. Or the Rouge River.)

chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  15. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

We could give them water from the Flint River.

@Yard Dart Need to add Berkey or other such filtration systems to the poll. Or is the Lifestraw the catchall for filtration.

Not going to happen easily.
    Great lakes compact states.
    Hell, Waukesha Wisconsin with it's contaminate municipal wells is getting shot down on withdrawl from Lake Michigan.
    Great Lakes group opposes Wisconsin water withdrawal

For now, the mitten is swimming in water. And lots of if!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2016
    Yard Dart and stg58 like this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Same here in CaliphOregon. We have folks getting in trouble for storing rain water even though there is more than we can deal with during the rainy season. I'm not talking about folks on the dry side, but right in the middle of the rain belt.

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In Alaska, it only becomes the States, AFTER it hits the Ground... OR one has a WATER RIGHT attached to ones Deed of Ownership of Property.. I OWN, the FIRST 70USG of Water, TAKEN from Seal Creek, each Day... It is MINE, and if I chose to take it, each Day, I get mine FIRST, and then the others that have WATER RIGHTS, on Seal Creek, can take theirs... I applied for MINE first, and all others are subsevievient to MY WATER RIGHT, because theirs was Granted After MINE....

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  18. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

35000 gallon pool does that count? no solar but does a back up hand pump count? and 25 lbs. of shock...

Yard Dart likes this.
  19. Yard Dart

Fixed sir.....good point on the Berkey.

Ganado and VisuTrac like this.
  20. Yard Dart

The poll only allows 10 choices.... but yes a pool counts. :)

VisuTrac likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. duane
  4. Ganado
  5. Sojourn
  6. DKR
  7. deMolay
  8. Ganado
  9. GOG
  10. Motomom34
  11. Asia-Off-Grid