linux disk cataloger

Discussion in 'GNU/Linux' started by aardbewoner, Jul 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

I wonder why there are no (recent) disk catalogers for linux,you got cdcat, vvv and gwhere. Gwhere is the only one running on my system but is old and has few nags.
    Wonder how all that people ever find a file on our TB drives not to speak of the myriad of usb sticks. As i am a programing noob are there no monkies that can remake the old ones or make a new one :) Or show the way to tackle this with python and mariaDB.

2. Same question. I use Debian 10.
    Long ago I used gwhere and cdcat to keep browsable and searchable file lists of removable drives. Now only cdcat is available in Debian reps or on snap, but it has strange habit of segfaulting on scan of anything containing tar files.

3. Found the answer to my question and would like to share it.

Virtual Volumes View
    Application is Virtual Volume View. It is not only one application called "vvv" so be aware. The "vvv" from sourceforge is it, on github this abbreveation is taken for something else.
    Tried it and found it useful.

Other thing which looks like second answer is Basenji in Launchpad
    Again, there are other programs with same name. Until this day I was not aware of this severe name shortage for free sowtware )
    Did not tried because it requires libs versions newer than those in my distro (Debian 11) and I am tired of frankensteining my Linux installation. Tell me if you bother to compare them.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2023
  4. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

For me vvv does not work. i try them all and most are to old. Disk catalog on lunix is almost non existing i looked for years,asking on major distro,s,fora and programmers nothing. There was a other discussion here on monkey "Linux file cataloger-disk cataloger" its a solution that i use for years now.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. aardbewoner
  3. Brokor
  4. 3M-TA3
  5. Brokor
  6. DarkLight
  7. Brokor
  8. kckndrgn
  9. kckndrgn
  10. melbo
  11. Brokor
  12. melbo