Lock Picking

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Feb 5, 2015.

1. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

2. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

If you ever cut locks off or have old change outs I'm looking for stuff to practice on

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

OK...now that is just a brag. (Watch me open something) what use is it for others? What did you teach? Why should anyone watch that? What knowledge did you pass on?
    This forum has a wide and deep knowledge base, with many different skill sets. Just what is added by this?

4. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

Don't buy it if you think it's going to be secure from anything other from fire for a few hours. Not good enough? What if somebody wanted to put a gun in this?

5. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

6. kellory

You are working harder and slower than you need to. Stack up a few rubber washers on the key, first, then each strike will rebound on it's own. This allows for quick repeat strikes, and greater ease with bumping a tough lock. Master, is NOT a tough lock.

wnn likes this.
  7. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

Demo of bumping open padlocks and Kwikset dead bolt using m1 and kw1 bump keys

8. hbk101274

hbk101274 Monkey

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

BESSEY BVVB Vacuum Base Vice

Price: $14.97 (with free shipping)
    panvice.
    Link: Amazon.com: Bessey BVVB Vacuum Base Vise: Home Improvement

• Vacuum base mounts on any smooth work surface for work holding where you need it
    • Vise can be rotated 360-Degree and pivoted 90-Degree to positon wrk optimally with out removing clamped part from the vise jaws
    • Protective jaw caps incldued for hold parts without marring
    • Steel and die cast parts for durability
    If you are looking for a great vice to hold your locks while you work, this thing works great.

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. kellory

I just added a set of new shims to my lock picking kit.:)

11. Brokor

Master Lock (#3) Opened With A Zip Tie

ROFL!

Ganado, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  12. Brokor

Defeating Master Lock #7 With Paper Clip

Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  13. Brokor

Just because a lock says "High Security", does not mean it actually is. Take this Brinks (#2107-119) Grade 3 High Security keyed entry lock, for example. It has an anti-pry shield, says it is pick and bump resistant. My Bogata did not rake it open, due to the way the key way is designed:
    DSC00035.JPG
    Luckily, I do have a .018" .Gov steel pick I can use. It was a bogata, but I broke it on a cheap Chinese lock with a very tight key way...
    DSC00031.JPG
    (Peterson BG-2-18 GSP Bogata) Now, I am left with a very useful single pin pick I can use on most locks with thin key ways...
    DSC00032.JPG

I decided to give this a shot. Sure enough, it picked it so easily, I thought it was just luck...so I did it another two times to be certain.

Be cautious, folks. Designs like this may protect you from the average burglar strung out on meth, since he would probably just break a window, but a real hard-nosed type will know these are relatively easy to defeat with the proper tools.

Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  14. Brokor

Some information on tension wrenches and how to speed up your picking:

15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just be aware, in some States and Jurisdictions, mere possession of a Lock Pick, or Shim, without a local License, as a LockSmith, is a Criminal Act, even for non-Residents...

wnn and kellory like this.
  17. Brokor

Not in Pennsylvania, where I live.
    I also already provided a link for everybody to check their local and state regulations: HERE IT IS AGAIN

And folks have already mentioned this, on page one of this thread. Thank you for your continued effort to uphold the "law" and remind everybody, continually, about the importance of it. Now, if we may continue sharing INFORMATION freely, I for one would greatly appreciate it without additional warnings. OBEY! OBEY!

18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

If u look at the video he makes them with paperclips. .. who can say you have lockpicks. Makes me wonder of you watched the video

Brokor likes this.
  19. kellory

If they are ready made, and recognizable as lockpicks, then you may have a problem. If, on the other hand, you learn the skill, and make them up as needed, then you should not have a problem.

Now the link to state's legality of lockpicks is not accurate for Ohio. If I am found to be carrying picks, off the job, they may hold me long enough to determine that no burglaries have been committed with picks, at that time.
    If there is no active burgalary call, then they have no suspension of a crime, with which to hold me.
    No one manufactures "burglar tools". They manufacture tools made for opening locks and safes, but no crime is present UNLESS they are used in a criminal way.

20. Brokor

Picking serrated pins (how to)

Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. hot diggity
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. AxesAreBetter
  5. DKR
  6. Motomom34
  7. wideym
  8. Benjamin A. Wood