Looking For...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by glauser, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glauser

glauser Monkey

Wanting to connect with people about preparedness. What is the number one thing you have to have first in your kit of preppers?

thanks much,
    Heidi

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

reliable access to clean drinkable water

3. glauser

glauser Monkey

Would you consider yourself an expert when it comes to prepping? -H

4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Have you done any browsing of our archives yet? If not that would be a real good place to start. Have you read anything like "lights out" or "one second after"? ........... you have to learn to think, "what if". you want to ask these questions of yourself before crap happens. That way hopefully you will be prepared and have a plan on what to do.

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I am sure there are experts here. Me? Well I am pretty well prepared. I have my shortfalls. I am doing my best to work at eliminating my shortfalls. For some of us money is a serious restrictive issue.

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Our forum is a massive archive, it could take time to get used to it...a good place to start may be the "Back To Basics" section. This is an issue we have been discussing in the site supporter clubhouse for some time. How can we make the basic information easy to digest for those considering prepping for the first time?

Back To Basics Forum:
    Back to Basics

I made this for a survival contest a while back, it may help:

Other helpful threads on the subject:
    Doing it on a budget!
    Why Are You Prepping?

THESE ARE THE 4 BASICS - THE "BIG ONES" TO CONSIDER FIRST.

1. FOOD - Every person will need the basics: store up on long term foods (canned goods, freeze dried, MRE's) Start with a two week supply. Move up to a month's supply. Go up a month at a time until you have a year's supply. Some will want to buy a full year's supply of food all at once -it is not always beneficial to do that because pricing may change. If money is not an option, then by all means invest all at once. Try to keep everything as simple as possible.

2. WATER - Obviously, a person can live longer without food than they can water...so why is water number 2? This is important, but remember that water can still be found after an economic collapse, while food will not be as easy to locate. However, a 2 week water supply of your own is a very good idea.

3. SECURITY - Securing yourself and your property. Always have some kind of firearm at the ready and be fully trained and capable at using it. It would be preferable to have a concealable handgun or sub-machine gun so as not to be noticed. Do not dress like you still have plenty of money. Remove all noticeable name brand tags from clothing. Never travel alone if possible. Even though there may be an economic crisis, it does not mean police will be non-existent. This also means that they may not exactly be serving your best interests. Plan accordingly. Keep your home secure by permanently sealing off all entrances and exits save one for escape and one for routine use. You should make the one exit for escape something non-standard and possibly unexpected. For example: you block all doors except the rear because it has the best lighting and protection, while you choose the basement door as the escape because you can block the entrance with a light duty plywood and conceal the entrance entirely.

4. LONG TERM INVESTMENT - Gold, silver, and jewelry are all excellent methods to invest in sustainable wealth in the case of an economic disaster. Some people find it to be quite helpful since it keeps value no matter what the dollar is also valued at. One point to consider however, is a possible gold confiscation as was carried out in the 1930's. The risk involved with investing precious metals is for every person to consider on their own. Don't ever tell anybody that you have precious metals of any kind. Remember, if you do stockpile metals, you will probably want to protect that stockpile. If you barter with precious metals, be certain to tell everyone who sees it that it is the last of your holdings and you only recently acquired it. The second, and perhaps easiest for a bug-in, is to invest in various goods which can be bartered or resold later. These items can be almost anything ranging from soap, to long term foods, to generators, or even cigarettes and ammunition. Again, these items will have to be secured and protected as well. There is no guarantee that the items and goods you purchase will ever return a valuable payment to you.

* Other areas to also consider (but not limited to) are travel, first aid, communications, sanitation, and long term food planting/harvesting/seed saving. (All of these topics can be searched on the Survival Monkey forums)

chelloveck likes this.
  7. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

[siren] [lock]
    She's a producer as per her other thread!! I think @Quigley_Sharps is locking it

whats a prepper anyway, I like Dr. Prepper, (singing) shes a prepper, hes a prepper I'm a prepper, wouldn't you like to be a prepper too?

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I keep a midget named Heidi in my B.O.B. Does that count ?

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This thread is ALL ABOUT Hooking folks into their Tv Business... I do not know these folks, but I suspect they are way to "Citifed" to make it out here where I live, let alone in a REAL SHTF Senerio... Many folks, talk, a few folks, do, and the RARE Odd ones, Live such a lifestyle... These folks tell other folk's story, for a living......... Y & TMMV.......

ColtCarbine and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Heidi,

There are many different types of people on here representing various members of society. We have US and non US citizens, blue collar and white collar people, veterans and non veterans, religious people of different beliefs, non religious people, people of different socio-economic status etc... Preppers don't have one thing that everyone preps for. There is no prepper association or newsletter that ALL preppers subsribe to. I would venture to say that the vast majority of preppers are people who you could not pick out of a crowd. Heck you probably couldn't identify most preppers after talking to them personally. I have coworkers whom I have known for years that I just found out that they also prep. More people seem to be doing it lately. Not fringe types either ,like is portrayed in the media most often. The people that seem to be flocking to prepping now are middle class americans, professionals. Have you ever experienced a natural disaster? Been without powerr for more than a couple days because of snow sotrms or hurricanes? Rushed to the grocery store to try and buy bread and batteries when the storm is hours away only to find the store picked clean? Many of us have had those types of experiences and after it was all over decided that we would not be a victim again, that we would not be caught unprepared again. I see prepping as similar to insurance for an uncertain future. There are all kinds of disasters both nautral and man made as well as personal disasters like loss of job or house fire that can upset the apple cart. I just happen to prep to lessen the chance of them becoming cataclysmic for myself and my family.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I've locked this thread pending admin action. The poster is attempting to launch a reality show. See Casting For...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7