My Bug Out Bag

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Imasham, Dec 8, 2016.

1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

It's been too wet to take pics for the past week.

Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  2. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

The only thing I can point out is that 28 lbs. a lot of weight to lug any great distance. I suggest you load up and take a practice hike to see how long you can realistically go with all that stuff.

I have a bag that comes in just under 20 pounds and I think it is too heavy. I consider myself in above-average physical shape. I can go a few hours, and not too fast.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Goodwill. I have picked up 2 Army Wool blankets in perfect condition from Goodwill over the past 8 months for $6 each. Whenever I drive by I stop in and look and also have the wife look as she goes there more often than me.

That's a good list, Imasham! I will check out some of the items when I get a bit more time but seems like you got most things covered.

I owned the BK Companion and in truth...I'm not crazy about it. It's a good knife but it's so damn heavy and a hand axe and a smaller knife would be better so that's what I carry now, a BK-16 and a hand axe. Plus, if they haven't walked off some where, I normally got a couple of the Morakniv knives that I can put on the outside of the pack where I can get to them quick. I would wear the BK-16.

For fire, I go sort of multiple ways... I do carry a magnesium bar and striker but I have used a drill to make magnesium shavings which I carry in an old waterproof match container plus carry a small metal box which I have cotton balls in Vaseline and shavings in them. I do this because I know if I need to use this that I will be wet and freezing my backside off and I do not want to be messing about trying to make shavings off the bar. And, I carry a handful (~5) Bic lighters...

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I can get a heavier "Army Wool Blanket", something in the 6lb range as I recall. More as a warning than anything else. The new manufactured ones I have been able to come across are normally 50/50, and rarely make a big deal out of it that I have seen. Just an FYI.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

chelloveck likes this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Ganado likes this.
  7. avagdu

avagdu Monkey++

Will your bag get you through a few nights in the winter? I ask this not only for winter conditions but for elevation considerations. Many times even in the summer at higher elevations there is snow on the ground almost year round. If your bug out route passes through any mountainous areas this is important to know.

I repeat this a lot, but.. I tend to go shelter heavy as there are times and places where you cannot or should not make fire. I love fire making but your shelter items should be sufficient to survive without it.

In that vein, my philosophy is a bug out bag should be large enough to accommodate winter clothes, shelter and extra items you might not initially intend to carry. You can always remove things you don't need later.

I didn't see a manual compass on the list.. Might want that just in case. I prefer a headlamp to a flashlight. You may want a pump, gravity or in-line filter instead of a life straw if you want to filter enough water to fill your hydration bladder. If size or weight constraints are more of a concern you can substitute water purification tablets or liquid repacked in eyedropper bottles.

8. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Thanks very much for the feedback. My winter condition check is something I will need to do but it should be improved with my decision to switch to a wool blanket as mentioned in a previous post. While I do live near the mountains my three temporary BOLs are all within a few kilometers of my house. I have not yet decided on a permanent bug-out location although I do think I now what will happen.

You are correct in that a manual compass is not on the list. However I do have one (or ten) and am well versed in using them from being involved in orienteering.

The premise I am basing my BOB on is three days away from home so based on that I feel my three litres of water in the pack plus the LifeStraw are satisfactory. One of my three temp BOLs has water storage and the other two are right beside rivers (although winter will make that more of a challenge). I do have some water purification tablets in my first aid kit as well. For longer bug out needs I have a series of what I call go-totes that I'm preparing. In my Cooking tote I have a LifeStraw Family.

chelloveck likes this.
  9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

For what it is worth, we have Aqaumira 100,000 gallon gravity fed water filters if you ever want to hedge your bets. I pack one in my kits now. Bout the size of a coke can, $20.
    Real hard for me to accept people not carrying water filtration with them these days, you know? Prices are good, everything is infected now thanks to globalism and not vetting foreign travelers for diseases. And they don't weigh a lot.

Not busting you on the lifestraw, fyi. Just having a tired little rant. Haha.

10. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Which model of Aquamira is that? I can't find the one on their web site that filters 100k gallons.

11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Much as I encourage people to put their gear to use the only piece of equipment I don't recommend using unnecessarily is their water filter.
    IMO It seems o me that many filters have no silver, so that once used, the bacteria and debris that is stopped at one point may still reside in the filter indefinitely , IMO debris that is allowed to dry in place is very hard to get rid of even back flushing.
    On filtering especially in the woods I recommend running the water through a coffee filter first , They are cheap and can be used for many other things other than filtering coffee/water .
    The more debris you prevent from entering the filter, the longer it will last.

chelloveck likes this.
  12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

No matter what you choose, just be certain you find time to actually test your equipment to become familiarized with it and always try to be in the best shape you can so you may avoid injury when it comes time to move. To me, nothing else is as important, and there's no gear in the world that can compare with your competency or fill the void of any lack thereof.

Survival, first and foremost, is a mindset; your thought process and actions dictate whether or not you become a survivor or a victim of nature.

Yard Dart and chelloveck like this.
  13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

My apologies...it appears to be Renovo brand, and filter 1000 gallons...my distributor had it in the wrong category with typos during their "inventory season".
    redwolf-blog

14. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Something I just found and will be trying out in a day or two is the Dixon rollerpack. It allows you to carry more without having to lug it on your back. I grant it's a little awkward at first
    www.dixonrollerpack.com

Dunerunner likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  7. DarkLight
  8. Fatum1965
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Motomom34
  11. ED GEiN
  12. AxesAreBetter
  13. medicineman
  14. Oltymer
  15. Brokor
  16. Witch Doctor 01
  17. Legion489
  18. TailorMadeHell