Salt ?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oldman11, Jun 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

how much salt do you keep? I’m thinking salt will be valuable as money during a shtf downturn. We use salt for a lot of things,curing meat and other foods and daily use. So how much and how do you buy,small containers or 50lb bags? Salt is one thing I’m falling back on. If you buy bulk how do you store it to keep it dry?
    [flag]

Ura-Ki, Tully Mars, HK_User and 2 others like this.
  2. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I buy big 30-50 pound bags of rock salt like you’d use to make ice cream. Usually keep 2-3 around. Its cheap, I just store the bag as is. It stays dry enough and can be easily busted up if it clumps. If I need small granulated salf for a steak, it’s easy to pulverize it. I cycle it through the inventory but dont worry much about it, mostly to to keep the bags from getting too old and beat-up. I just stack the bags on a shelf off the floor, nothing special, salt never spoils.
    AT

Ura-Ki, Tully Mars, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  3. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

500# Morton iodized salt and 1500# sea salt from 50# bags and now in Homer buckets with standard lids.

It's just stored under a building where the ground slopes off enough to make it easy to slide it under there on the high end.

There's white sugar under there, too.

10 years and nothing has messed with it yet.....

4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Been putting away salt since before Y2K. May still not have enough, but I've got several cases of iodized and many five gallon buckets of rock salt. Just so I don't have to break into multiple buckets I over-pack salt with other bulk foods.

In a pinch I can evaporate sea water, but that's like waiting for steel to rust to get iron oxide. Opening a bucket is so much easier.

Ura-Ki, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Got mine in a 30 gallon drum stored inside.
    Salt is some heavy stuff!

Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  7. john316

john316 Monkey+++

in Florida you must store salt,sugar, in an air tight container.
    salt, in the box or bag turns into a rock..........bugs will eat the bag, box
    sugar, eaten by bugs,sure,.....BUT, sugar, stored in the bag,non air tight, IN FLORIDA, WILL turn into syrup,go through the bag,and make its way to the floor!!!!!!!!!

Zimmy, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I only got a couple of round boxes worth of Morton's table salt...not enough. I will look into getting a bag of it as got an empty 5 gallon bucket to store it. I have no reason why I don't keep more as it stores well and I have containers and space, just an oversight on my part which we'll rectify as soon as I get to town. Probably get table salt...

Oh! I do have a couple of bags of rock salt which I use for melting icy paths in the winter.

EDIT: I found this interesting on Morton's website, lots of stuff can be cured:

You searched for meat curing - Morton Salt

And, they even make a special salt for curing meat called Tender-Quick:
    MORTON® TENDER QUICK® - Morton Salt

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Just gave away a few pounds of salt to a neighbor. I have shy of 20# of salt. Was working on building my reserves then moved it twice and it is heavy. I learned that celery and carrots both contain natural salt so I have seeds. Plus for those in other areas, the hickory tree, the roots is a source of salt.

Ganado, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Salt may get wet, or clump, but it doesn't go bad. Dried and smashed back to granules again and it's still salt. It may take on undesirable flavors, but that's why you use mylar bags and food grade buckets. Unpalatable salt will still do the job for preparing hides.

I store very little sugar, but a good bit of honey in glass jars.

Ganado, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  12. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

4B70CA3F-C541-410A-B10D-2F85E352217A.

And theres another 10lbs or so of the Him.Pink under the counter.....

VisuTrac, Ganado, arleigh and 2 others like this.
  13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

150 pounds in buckets and several 40# bags of pool salt stored inside. Also useful for salt licks for wild game when there is no corn for the feeder. My deer under one feeder will lick away a salt block a year. Everything has to have salt.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and oldman11 like this.
  14. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I buy 25-50 lbs bags of Himalayan Seat Salt from Saltworks out of WA. May extra minerals in it. We use it for cooking instead of iodized salt.

Plus we have a water softener and I have several bags of 40lbs Morton salt laying around for that. About $6/bag

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. john316

john316 Monkey+++

PC SALT ?

\CAN you eat the water softener salt

AD1 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Its pure Sodium Chloride with no additives, I would assume so.

Based on this I would say yes and it is Cargill that I buy not morton

Coarse screened, white crystalline sodium chloride. Primary intended for use in regenerating water softener ion-exchange resin in both household and commercial water softeners, and can be used effectively in most water softening units. In filtered brine f orm, this product can be used for meat and poultry processing, quality grading sensitive vegetables, and curing olives and pickles. It has also found application in hide curing and snow and ice removal. Packaged in polyethylene bags and in 50lb., 80lb., a nd 40kg multiwall kraft containers, which incorporate polyethylene film liners for added moisture protection.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Himalayan salt block, sea salt , rock salt, and loads of table salt.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and AD1 like this.
  18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I just get the #50 bags of salt at the CO-OP and keep them in a plastic drum. I also need some Morton's table salt.

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  19. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Salt is vital for human and animal health, and for preserving food, as my ancestors discovered during the Civil War. In NW Alabama, we are 300 miles from the Gulf and there are no salt licks. Salt became so scarce that folks took to digging-up the soil under smoke-houses to recover salt, and animals would lick one another for the salt in their sweat. An ancestor of mine and a small party of men rode to Savannah, Tennessee for salt. They must have had silver or gold coins, because Savannah was in Yankee hands by that time. On the return trip they were set upon by local renegades known as Buggers, one of their number was killed, and the rest of the party, including my ancestor escaped. That is the value of salt!

Gator 45/70, Zimmy and oldawg like this.
  20. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Picked up a little over 200 lbs today. I got 6 broken bags at wal mart for $16.00,cheap enough. Two bags almost half full and the other 4 almost full with a little missing if any. You never know if you don’t ask.
    [flag]

AD1, Gator 45/70, Zimmy and 1 other person like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7