SOG or Leatherman, which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Castiel, Feb 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Castiel

Castiel Monkey+

In SHTF if you could choose any leatherman or the one Iam looking at is the SOG Powerlock EOD as seen here SOG PowerLock EOD Multi Tool With V-Cutter & Black Oxide Finish From SOG Specialty Knives & Tools which would you choose? I know most people go straight to leatherman, but Ive been looking into these and they seem to be pretty darn good. One feature I LOVE is the fact that you can replace parts with others. This particular tool has a V-Cutter for cutting seatbelts and rope, and it also has a spike that can be used for breaking glass, and I personally see that as being very useful...especially over the awl which seems almost useless unless you gain weight and your favorite belt doesnt fit anymore. What do you guys think?[gasmask]

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

My son, when he was a patrol officer, tried the 'leatherman" and returned it about 2 weeks after purchase. He said the grip was too small and cut into his palm. He bought a MUCH cheaper version, ( knockoff/copy) and has been happy ever since! I have had several differnt brands and types and found the same thing in some models. Some are comfortable, but most are not.
    He paid less than what SOG is listing for theirs...
    I'd go and handle a few first and then decide. If it is too small or too sharp handled, no price is good!

3. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I have 2 Leathermans and a buddy of mine has the SOG. I'm torn between the two. The LM is nice, but I think I probably would have bought the SOG if I researched more instead of impulsed bought. DEFINITELY don't buy it off the SOG site. Get it cheaper elsewhere, like here: SOG Knives Multi-Purpose PowerLock EOD Tool w/ V-Cutter - Black Oxide

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I have used both. I tend to judge a multi-tool by the type of blade it has. If the blade is well constructed, usually the rest is.

I have to say SOG skimped on my blade. I don't really like Gerbers (we get issued them). The Leatherman's are ok. The prize IMHO is the Victorinox multi-tool. At least check it out.

5. Lit 1911

Lit 1911 Monkey+

Ive got a $16 Winchester that works just fine.

6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I like the layout of Gerbers...you don't have to open them up to get to the tools. But after hard use, my blade on my Gerber is chipped some and it wiggles now. The serrated blade is not very sharp IMO.

I have bunch of different Leathermans--I keep one in every vehicle. I carry the Surge with me everyday; it is very well made. Some of the less-costly models seem cheaper--I think they may have some plastic in them.

I have been thinking about an SOG. I see them often on Woot.com for deals. I just don't know like the fact that many of them are made overseas.

SOG Knives Collectors - Country of Origin - SOGs

7. Castiel

Castiel Monkey+

Unfortunately no one I know owns multi tools and the places I look at always have the tools in a box so I can't open them and get a feel for them. So I make up for that by doing homework.

8. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I've got a SOG, a Victorinox, and a Leatherman Super Tool. They are all good functional tools, but if I could only choose one, it would definitely be the SOG.

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I haven't given SOG a fair shake to tell you if I like them or not. As for Leatherman, I love mine and will always keep them. I also like some of my Gerber's, too. Some Gerber multi-tools are not great, and I have had problems with some of the retention clips popping off, but not all models are like this.

Leatherman is my first choice. Not every MT is the same, though.

10. Bison_Forge

Bison_Forge Aspiring Knifemaker

I can reccomend a Gerber MP600 Basic multi tool. It is the current issue to deploying soldiers, and I like it way more than my three previous Leathermans. The only thing is that the Leatherman's jaws are a bit stronger than the jaws on the Gerber.

11. krieger

krieger Monkey+

I got a Leatherman MUT Eod last October. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have the EOD Mut by leatherman and as a former EOD tech it is better IMHO than the SOG EOD tool ...

Leatherman 850032 MUT EOD Military Utility Tool with Molle Sheath

i have 2 gerbers and a handfull of leathermen the MUT is my favorite if you are getting one take a look at the way the handles open some of the early leathermen and most of the SOG's have a tool opening that is uncomfortable when you use the pliers/wire cutters... the best layout is actually a Coleman pro lock tool which allows you to remove the tools frfom the handles and use more than one tool at a time... It is a great tool for lighht to medium work and a great camping gadget... see below

Coleman Pro Lock

1. Joe13
  2. Tully Mars
  3. Hanzo
  4. KAS
  5. Quigley_Sharps
  6. Alpha Dog
  7. CATO
  8. Castiel
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7