TOTM July 2020... Living and Prepping in the New Normal

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Dunerunner, Jul 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Some States remain restricted with respect to gathering size, the number of people allowed in stores and some businesses mandated to be closed until further notice.

Has this pandemic changed your preps, and if so....How?

I definitely have changed how much prep I have, especially flour. I bake more, have a sour dough starter on the counter that I refresh every three days and am running out of storage space for long term preps.

2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I think a lot of us have found our preps to be "adequate but lacking". We haven't wanted for anything but have certainly wished for more variety and found ourselves growing tired of our staple foods. We used this as a trial run to see how long we could go without venturing out (I worked everyday, but didn't buy food or visit the supermarket), and we quickly determined we could go a very long time. We have for the past month been making some trips to the grocery for replacing things we used and to add some variety.

Ice cream, lunch meat, and fresh produce topped our list of things we wanted and quickly ran out of. We could probably never buy detergent, alcohol, soap, TP, toiletries, or ammunition again and be just fine.

There will be frozen bologna and ham, rotated gallons of ice cream, and a bit more gasoline storage here now. It's a long story, but I won't be as generous with my stuff going forward either.

3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Adequate but boring is how we found it. IDK if it was some primal instinct kicking in or we were just bored, but for two people who normally don't eat junk food we sure did find ourselves wanting it 24/7. Both of us have put on 10 pounds since all this crazy began. Carbs and sugar! Carbs and sugar! I didn't have any ice cream or chocolate set back but rest assured we got our greedy paws on it despite threats of respiratory failure should we catch a dose of bat flu. Madness!

I need to stock rice flour. Normally I buy Jovial gluten free pasta, but it's from Italy and guess who wasn't shipping anything? Yeah. We ran out of GF pasta pretty fast since it's $$$ and I don't keep much on hand. I ended up getting into the wheat flour pasta and wished I hadn't. Figure with a little tinkering I can learn how to make rice flour pasta.

Also need a lot more vinegar on hand. Stores here are limiting it to 1 per customer and I go through a gallon just making pickled eggs and jalapenos.

Motomom34, Ganado, Dunerunner and 5 others like this.
  4. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Wife has become more interested in prepping now. She comes up with these ideas, that I had once suggested. I tell her she has a great idea and we are working on getting it done. We have food stocked now. We are working on garden plans. It has been a great wake up for us.

Dark Wolf, Motomom34, Ganado and 6 others like this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Well, I don't accept this as "normal" in any sense of the word. Having govt tinpots pass edicts without a clue as to the consequences is not acceptable.

Anyhoo...preps in general have been sufficient, although a larger garden going forward is in the plans. First year for corn and it has already tassled, tomatoes have run their course...yada, yada. But not enough production for me to be comfortable.

Freezers and pantries barely took a dent (and have been restocked) and solar power has been abundant.

Gasoline storage is an area that could use some expansion, although if things get truly bad we would likely be using less...not a high priority, but still...

Coffee has held out ok. Didn't even come close to running out.

Plenty of PPG still on hand...

My wife did share some of the sourdough mother (along with feeding instructions) and some recipes with some of her work associates...they have been quite appreciative of the gesture, and were pleasantly surprised with what they could make. Which brings to mind, we did proof some yeast from several years ago...still good :)

Overall, a few tweaks are in order, but no earthshaking realignments to preps.

6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Unless you live WAY up north you still have enough time to plant another garden. Here in north Alabama we still have 100-120 days left in the growing season, even longer if you cover your plants to protect them from frosts. You can still find plants and seed for sale, and often at a discount. So declare your independence from want and fear by sticking a few more seeds or plants in the ground.
    I'm getting ready to plant a patch of greens for this fall and winter, if I get them in the ground by August I'll have various greens and turnips till next spring.

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

My food and water preps have been more than adequate. But i stock alot of basic ingredients to spice things up.
    Some Monkey resources
    Recipe - CONDIMENTS from scratch with shopping list

For fresh resources i did quite a bit of sprouting
    Sprouting- Using Stored Grain, Nuts, Seeds to Optimize Health

Fermented foods for biomeme/gut health
    cant find the thread but there are several good ones for making beer, wine, bread, kimchi, kefer water, yogurt etc.
    making your own yeast for baking
    Recipe - Homemade Sauerkraut

I did find i was short ammo even though the shooting range was closed me and the other ladies found places to shoot. So i solumly swear never again to make fun of all the 'need more ammo' threads.:p;)

Dark Wolf, Gray Wolf, Dont and 2 others like this.
  8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Nobody ever complains about having too much ammo, unless they had to hump it...and then they change their tune after their first engagement. To quote Jane, " Sure wish we had some grenades right about now!".

Ganado likes this.
  1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. JC Refuge
  9. jefferson
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Dunerunner
  15. Dunerunner
  16. Dunerunner
  17. Dunerunner
  18. jefferson