What Vitamins do you take?

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by melbo, Jan 13, 2006.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I take:

Multi vitamin:
    Natures Plus Ultra Source of Life.
    3 daily
    Ingredients here

Vitamin E 400IU 1daily
    Vitamin C Ultra Potent - C 500, (metagenics) 1 daily
    (B-17) Amygdalina, , yep, Cyanide... 100mg 1 daily as a preventitive. 500mg if I had cancer
    B-15, Calcium Pangamate, 100mg, 1 daily

Brokor likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yikes. I take a multivitamin only. You are too young to have a pill dependency like that. Whutchu gonna do when U catch up 2 me? [troll]

3. melbo

I don't plan on living that long G... [troll]

Brokor likes this.
  4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Good multivitamin with lot of trace minerals

Extra 400IU E

CoQ10-100mg ( great antioxidant and heart muscle builder......both my parents dropped dead of heart attacks at a fairly young age )

81 mg aspirin......one of the leading causes of sudden heart attack is plaque coming off the arteries.....plague builds in areas of the arteries that are inflamed, and a low dose of aspirin cuts that inflamation, and plaque buildup.

Couple garlic tablets

Couple capsules of a glucosamine sulfate I get from a vet in middle TN. Was getting arthritis sorta bad in my knees and hands several years ago ( mom was nearly crippled with it from about 40 until she died ) and started taking this.....cured it right up....no joint pain at all anymore. Glucosamine will actually rebuild the cartilledge in your joints so you're not joing the line of folks waiting to get their hips and knees replaced about age 60+ because they listened to the quack ads that told them "Arthritis pain ?....here, just take 2 of these Alleeve or whatever..." .....and when you wear your joints out a little more, the quack doctors can give you something stronger that will carry you right up til your date with the orthapedic surgeon.

OK, rant off.....ahahahaaaaaaaaaa

5. ghrit

I didn't either. Genetic predisposition to long life, but I took a lot of chances along the way figuring there was no point to not having some fun while waiting for the inevitable. So parts are streched, twisted, used and abused, but still attached. Probably shouldn't be that way, but it is. So vitamins is all (and a low dose of aspirin.) Might last a while longer, might not, but what a ride, so far. Ah, life!! Bring it ON!!

6. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I take the kind in furry wrappers and the kind that grow in the garden, beyond that if I feel a cold comeing on may pop 500 mg of C or something but thats about it.

7. melbo

you know G ™ , I just realized that it takes me an entire beer to choke all that down. Might need to upgrade to the 18 pack....

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I can never remember to take them. :oops: I quit buying them, cuz I just ended up throwing the nearly-full bottles away upon expiration.

:?: For those who do take them: Do you find that you're healthier (on average) than those around you?

9. ghrit

hehehe. Musta bin onna 15th beer, ya dubble posted. :lol: :lol:

10. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I haven't had a cold in over 6 yrs.....

and I shouldn't have said that......now I'm doomed... :rolleyes:

11. melbo

YES

12. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Vitamin B is the best one [booze]

13. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Bump.

I've done a lot of reading here today and found this interesting. I've taken multi-vitamins sporadically, and glucosamine infrequently at best, but that's about it. Maybe one or two ibuprofen in a year. I guess I just have an aversion to taking medications, etc.

To be all-inclusive, let's not limit this to vitamins though. Is there anything you take that has made a marked difference in your life?

For me, this has most recently been coconut oil. I'll scoop some into some fruit and make a smoothie. It has made a difference in my joints and muscles....no other changes at the time.

What say the monkeys? Of course, mileage may vary...I'm just interested in increasing mine. Thanks all.

Edit for spelling.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  14. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Just an aside: after reading these pages today, colloidal silver, iodine, and the fasting have piqued my interest. Any recent anecdotes?

@melbo, I really appreciate all the information you have put out here...thank you.

Ganado, Motomom34 and Brokor like this.
  15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

On occasion:
    Vit D
    Vit B12
    Vit B15
    Vit B17 (amygdalina)
    Glucosamine Sulfate

Quasi-Daily:
    Vit E
    Vit C

Foods (daily):
    Tons of spinach and leafy greens, coconut oil, Brazil nuts, fresh clean water. (PA-MD only)

Why don't I take a lot of multivitamins or other vitamins daily?
    Too much work for the body. I get plenty of nutrients from the food I eat, and I eat healthy.

GrayGhost and Motomom34 like this.
  16. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

I take two multivitamins with minerals daily (Centrum Silver), 7000 iu of Vit D3. I have had my levels of D tested and 7000 iu keeps me in the low-normal range, I could take more...YMMV.

I tell patients to take Vit C and zinc supplements if they have an injury or surgical wound, to assist in DNA replication for repair.

GrayGhost and Motomom34 like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I use Emergency when I'm traveling or working with the public to help my immune system hold off all the germs other people bring with them (coughing and sneezing).

On a regular basis I take
    D
    B12 (there are 3 kinds of these slow, med and long acting, long acting for this particular vitamin involves a shot)
    B17
    I use nutritional/brewers yeast for the other B vitamins.
    Occasionally I will run thru a bottle of high quality Omega/fish oil.

I like to stay close to the food chain for nutrition and I know I have deficiencies in Vitamin D and Vitamin B (you can get tested for genetic markers for chronic B deficiencies)

No offense to anyone but Multivitamins are a waste of time and money. Unless you are using a whole food vitamin which is basically compressed dried greens. The reason they are a waste of time and money is your body won't absorb them. Don't believe me. Conduct your own test. Put a multi vitamin in a glass of water and see how long it takes to break down. IF it dissolves in water within a few hours its a decent vitamin and your body has the opportunity to absorb it. If 6 hours later its still basically a lump in the glass of water, you a wasting your money because the multivitamin is being pooped out with no chance to absorb into your system.

@Gopherman and I did some research on how to get micro nutrients in a post SHTF situation and he and I both came to the conclusion that growing Moringa is your best bet. The ORAC values in Moringa are extremely high.
    Moringa Trees ? | Survival Monkey Forums
    Survival Medicine
    Super foods | Survival Monkey Forums

Yes I am healthier than the people around me.

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just saw a package of moringa powder in a local health store. Moringa Powder- Raw Organic | Smallflower.com since moringa will not grow in my AO this maybe the way to go.

PS- I agree with you on the multivitamins.

Gopherman likes this.
  19. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

Well, I take the multivitamins and a couple of hours later in the morning I see the results when I urinate....So I guess they're dissolving OK.

20. ghrit

Dissolving in water is not a very good measure of how well they will dissolve in the stomach where the digestive juices, mostly enzyme laden and acidic, go to work.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7