Which are the Safest, Most Comfortable, Easy to Assemble, Best Tents You'd Recommend for TEOTWAWKI

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Jun 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

@ED GEiN
    Gotta ask. What is a "safe" tent?

chelloveck likes this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yeah, a grit eating troll. Pass the peace pipe YD. :)

Yard Dart likes this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

A safe tent is 5 sheets off 1/2" steel . LOL

This is a one man tent I made for my self, for motorcycle trips.
    rip stop nylon, double walled and a pocket in the floor for the mattress.
    Because it is double walled there is no condensation inside, like single walled tents do, so there is no problem laying right next to the wall.
    The tent is reversible and multicolored,, one side is white, and the other is black, and the floor is red and black.
    In hot weather the white is out , black is inside, and when its cold it is reversed .The beauty of using black ,is that there is no silhouette ,an no light shining out either
    The red floor is for signaling during an emergency.
    I have both a solid wall and mosquito netting ,all zippered .
    All the tent has several coats of Scotchguard , and no leaks.
    It works, but I wish I had made it a little longer, to accommodate my pack inside while I'm sleeping.
    DSCN4217.JPG

chelloveck, ED GEiN, Merkun and 2 others like this.
  4. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

You'll have to research it Merkun

AxesAreBetter likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I think THIS ^^^ is the answer. The main issues with most tents is that they stick out like a sore thumb and leave you blind when you are in them. Also they take a bit to set up and take down so you might wind up abandoning it if you need to leave quickly. A new tarp or poncho is going to be much easier to replace if you are on the move.

chelloveck, Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Old enough that in basic we were given a shelter half, our share of the pole and pegs and a half dozen large safety pins, no ground pad, no sleeping bags,etc. Took our two wool blankets, pined them together and used that for a bed, worked out ok in warm weather, set up tents in neat lines for the officers, when they left to rough it in their trailers, we took the tents down, used the shelter half as a ground cover and over us, got up in the morning and reset the tents for the officers. Worked out better then sleeping on the wet ground. Tents are nice, but ground cover, pad, insect protection, etc, will make your life much more comfortable. Have had two of Lubuan"s tipi's, one burned, one was stolen while I was out one day. With a good waterproof canvas and a liner they are very livable, but not really portable. Have survived in one for a short period with night temperatures below 0, but it was a chore. Most comfortable tent I have ever lived in was double walled military large tent with partial wood walls and a wood floor and cots. With military style stove, it was not to bad.

7. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

What do you attribute surviving on temperatures below zero? I had a similar experience with the Boy Scouts at 12 due to the idiocy of the scoutmasters and my lack of common sense in going on an overnight hike in the Catskill Mountains in the middle of a freezing winter! If it wasn't for my mothers insistence against my wishes that I wear Heavy Padded thermal underwear I would have frozen to death instead of being merely frozen!

duane likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There is no reason for ANYONE to freeze to death, if they can start a fire, with local fuel at hand... This is exactly why Fire Starting/Building is a Critical SkillSet in Any Survival situation.... Is this a SkillSet you possess? If not, it should be the very first one on your list of things to LEARN/DO......

duane, chelloveck, Motomom34 and 4 others like this.
  9. duane

duane Monkey+++

While I totally agree with BTPost, fire making is only half of the desired goal, not burning down your tent and killing yourself is the second half of the problem. At this time you can for $500 or less buy a wood stove suitable for a tent, the required stove pipe and system to take the pipe through the tent wall and a decent axe. None of these can be manufactured out of available materials in the woods after the SHTF. If you use a fire hole and a tipi, you can heat with wood safely with very little technology and using an insulating liner, hold enough heat in to survive very cold weather with enough clothes and good blankets. The problem is then most people want to put rugs, etc to sleep on or to be warmer and insulate the double walls with materials that are better insulation. That plus cooking over the fire may well lead to sparks, embers, etc setting fire to the flooring and then to the covering, which in my case was not made of buffalo hides, and in my case a friends wife tried to help cook a meal and 5 minutes later the tipi, clothes, stored food etc was up in smoke and if it had really been a survival situation we would of had nothing but the clothes on our backs. There are many things that you may be able to salvage, beg, steal, etc, that are required to survive with at least some hope of survival and a minimal level of comfort, but it would be much wiser if you had them available when the SHTF. Firearms, ammo, wood tools, adequate food and clothing, etc, are all available now at a reasonable cost and can be stored. Most of those items will be of little use if you don't know how to use and maintain them. As the old coast guard man told me, experience is a cruel teacher, you have the final exam and then you are taught the lesson. Much better to learn from other peoples experiences and what worked and what didn't.

10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Best thing to do is to get out in the wilds and learn as much as you can using all the gear you think you want, you will find out pretty quickly what works and what doesn't! Keep a little log book and notes of every thing, then start making decisions about what you are capable of and what you can realistically accomplish!

11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Uri-Ki, in my mind you just described what prepping is really all about. If you learn now how to use what you need to survive and have it available, God willing, you will survive.

12. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Totally agree with you, many of my posts involve finding out what people here think are the best items (tents, filters, etc) and then taking it from there. For me, no point buying and trying things by trial and error when you can sat least get a head start by starting with brands/models people recommend.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and duane like this.
  13. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

They have those hammock tents that roll up very small.

duane, chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  1. mechstdr
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. TinyDreams
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. DKR
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid