Poor Man's Barter Items

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Ganado, Apr 5, 2015.

1. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I started reading this thread and was thinking about how to thank for all the ideas.

...then I started cracking up. Now I have to go back and reread the first coupla pages.

Brokor, Mindgrinder and Ganado like this.
  2. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

People are going to need propane in small containers,strike anywhere matches,gasoline,diesel,motor oil,lots of batteries,cigs,coffee,and whiskey for comfort. You would want the whiskey to be in small containers as you would not want a bunch of drunks hanging around causing trouble. I think the die off in my area would be pretty quick as most are on either food stamps or welfare. Most live week to week or payday to payday and save very little.I believe it would be best to hunker down and stay out of site until the main die off is over,you do not want anyone to know what you have hid back. Loose lips sink ships.

3. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

As Selco (SHTF School | Real Life Survival Experiences points out from personal experience, bartering after the poop hits the prop is very dangerous, and usually shouldn't be done from your base of operations. Selco also pointed out that many people died trying to borrow fire from one place and carry it to another. Fires were too fuel-expensive to be kept burning all the time, but there were times when having a fire was absolutely necessary. Selco made a lot of good trades because people needed fire starters and he had a way to refill bics. That being said, one might consider turning thrift store Levi jeans (100% cotton) into char cloth, for use & barter. It not only makes starting a fire a lot easier, it makes carrying fire easy and unobtrusive. And no one you trade it to will be able to turn around and use it against you.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

@Ganado great idea for coming up with this thread. Featured. =)

Mindgrinder and Ganado like this.
  5. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

There was a device sold back in the 90's that was used to refill those small propane tanks.. Have not seen them offered in some time , but ran across how to make one some place on the net.. I have a lot of those tanks laying around in a shed.. Wast not want not..

Hydrogen pyroxide has a short shelf life, however it can be made at home. find out what else can be made at home and stock up on the raw materials.. Many items have dual uses, Nail polish remover is primarily acetone and it's handy in the shop as well..

Mindgrinder, Tully Mars and Brokor like this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

@Dont -I must admit I do not know exactly how to make hydrogen peroxide from base elements. From everything I have read, it seems difficult, and dangerous. Perhaps a little tutorial or explanation could be in order? I am not qualified, I admit.

I do know that you can buy the 3% hydrogen peroxide solutions at stores and it does have a limited shelf life. I also know one could freeze this solution and end up with the peroxide remaining a liquid since it won't freeze with the water. One could also bring to near boil and evaporate the water to come up with a more concentrated peroxide. Also, the 30% peroxide solutions can be purchased at some garden shops and hydroponics suppliers. Of course, peroxide at that high of concentration is "food grade", but it is caustic and is very dangerous to skin and should not be taken internally. Hydrogen peroxide was a fuel for torpedoes in the second world war, and still can be a fuel for rocketry. I think this is more of a speciality for @BTPost to answer, though.

It's certainly on the radar of the government above 3% solutions, no doubt.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Been a while since I did anything with Peroxide... Left me do some research, and get back to you guys... I will edit this post with the answers....

Manufacture[edit]

Previously, hydrogen peroxide was prepared industrially by hydrolysis of the ammonium peroxydisulfate, which was itself obtained via the electrolysis of a solution of ammonium bisulfate (NH
    4HSO
    4) in sulfuric acid.

(NH4)2S2O8 + 2 H2O → H2O2 + 2 (NH4)HSO4
    Today, hydrogen peroxide is manufactured almost exclusively by the anthraquinone process, which was formalized in 1936 and patented in 1939. It begins with the reduction of an anthraquinone (such as 2-ethylanthraquinone or the 2-amyl derivative) to the corresponding anthrahydroquinone, typically via hydrogenation on a palladium catalyst; the anthrahydroquinone then undergoes to autoxidation to regenerate the starting anthraquinone, with hydrogen peroxide being produced as a by-product. Most commercial processes achieve oxidation by bubbling compressed air through a solution of the derivatized anthracene, whereby the oxygen present in the air reacts with the labile hydrogen atoms (of the hydroxy group), giving hydrogen peroxide and regenerating the anthraquinone. Hydrogen peroxide is then extracted and the anthraquinonederivative is reduced back to the dihydroxy (anthracene) compound using hydrogen gas in the presence of a metal catalyst. The cycle then repeats itself.[14][15]

[​IMG]
    The simplified overall equation for the process is deceptively simple:[14]

H
    2 + O
    2 → H
    2O
    The economics of the process depend heavily on effective recycling of the quinone (which is expensive) and extraction solvents, and of the hydrogenation catalyst.

A process to produce hydrogen peroxide directly from the elements has been of interest for many years. Direct synthesis is difficult to achieve as, in terms of thermodynamics, the reaction of hydrogen with oxygen favours production of water. Systems for direct synthesis have been developed, most of which are based around finely dispersed metal catalysts.[16][17] None of these has yet reached a point where they can be used for industrial-scale synthesis.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  8. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I have the instructions for making peroxide, however the point of my post was to look at what you can make and barter from base ingredients. Personally, I look at everything I use and consider how it's made and how would I get along without it.. If I would miss an item, someone else may as well and there is an opportunity..

9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

10. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Mindgrinder and Ganado like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Mindgrinder likes this.
  12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I have heard of people hacking one of the cheap import stoves to do it. But they refill with propane so you lose the really low temp ability
    of the mix. Might as well just pack a propaner stove or lantern. The "gram Nazis" scream but oh well.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  13. kellory

I posted it for the info posted in that thread by @ColtCarbine . and the adapters linked there.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  14. BTPost

I bought a Device (Brass double fitting) from Northern Tool, years ago, that adapted a 10# Propane Tank to the small Gas Grill Tanks, and allowed them to be refilled with Propane. Worked great, if you turned the 10# tank Upside down, and chilled the Small Tank in the Freezer before filling.... I quite using the Small Tanks, when I built an adapter so I could connect the 10# tank directly to the Gas Grill....

I have edited My above Post on Hydrogen Peroxide Production... to add information on the commercial Process, both original, and what is used today... 3% is Store Bought.... 30% or Higher, is the "High Test Stuff"...(Rocket Fuel)

Mindgrinder and Tully Mars like this.
  15. kellory

I refill small propane tanks. I do not bother chilling the one pound tanks. I get about a @80% fill with no extra steps. Just invert the tank and fill, then wiegh (for safety reasons) then check for leaks.

ghrit likes this.
  16. Tully Mars

Chilling them is the key. I won't tell anyone "they" should do this, but I bleed off the tanks before putting them in the fridge. I've been refilling those little tanks for years. I got tired of just tossing them after a weekend camp out with my girls-seemed like such a waste. We have a fair amount of the coleman propane lanterns and that is what these tanks are used for 90% of the time with us. I've never had any problems with any of the refills. I keep the little thread protectors and reuse those as well. While I'll still buy new cylinders whenever I find them on sale, I haven't used a "new" one in a very long time. On the tank that powers our genset I made sure it had a wet leg to refill larger tanks. I've got a brass fitting that will allow me to screw the adapter into that line to refill the little tanks as well.

Mindgrinder, BlueDuck, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  17. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

What am I going to do with my garage full of milk crates?

Mindgrinder likes this.
  18. kellory

I don't see the point of chilling 'em. Yes, I could get a little more in each one, but I have never yet over filled one, it will be refilled again, and if I need more propane, I just add another bottle. Why bother pushing for max capacity?

Mindgrinder likes this.
  19. BTPost

Chilling causes the Liquid to Stay Liquid, instead of flashing to GAS, when the Liquid hits the Hot Tank, upon filling... Building a HIGH GAS Pressure, slows the FillRate, significantly.....

Mindgrinder, BlueDuck and NotSoSneaky like this.
  20. Tully Mars

For me, when I filled the bottles at room temp they didn't fill all the way, maybe just over half. After I started chilling them I would get full bottles. This may sound reckless to some, but I no longer weigh the bottles. For me, if I bleed them off, put them in the fridge, then fill they are filled in 60 seconds using a 20lb bottle as the filler tank. This has proved correct (for me) again and again so I just time them with my watch.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. RJFab
  13. Thunder5Ranch
  14. duane
  15. TnAndy
  16. john316
  17. Coyote Ridge
  18. DKR
  19. hitchcock4