What Bulk/Dried foods do you think are necessary?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Bandit99, Sep 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Personally , Unless one is putting food in direct contact with the bucket I don't see the need to be food grade .
    If the bags and O2 your using perform the bucket is just a secure grocery bag. .If what ever was in the bucket previously has an effect , the bags are no good.. imo

Bandit99 likes this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

That is true! And, I have even used simply Home Depot (HD) buckets in the past for as you say if the food is in Mylar then all the bucket is doing is acting like a 'secure grocery bag' from rodents. But, I now store everything in Food Grade buckets because I can get them cheap ($1-$2 which is cheaper than a HD bucket) and then I am standardized so if I do need to use one in direct contact with food, say for sugar, well, I have one on hand. It's just easier to keep organized for me.

3. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

even if you don't/can't understand the technical & physical science of "Why not" - you should be able understand that the contamination of a bucket is "deeper" than just the bucket wall you can wash & inspect - the contamination is retained into the porous poly construction - that deep etching of the contamination is on a molecular level and is slowly released - it even eazily penetrates the mylar bagging back into the stored food ....

curious you deny this? - this is exactly how pickle brine stench is retained in a bucket - same same molecular contamination when food gets a "basement musty taste/smell" - same same when food is exposed to fuel oil by a storage tank - this is why exactly you never re-use anything but food grade buckets and watch where & how you store the filled buckets .....

why FDA graded food grade and NOT paint buckets like Home Depot Homer buckets >>>> poly used is not always virgin - companies can use recycled garbage poly - cancer causing "release" chems are used in molding - machinery & entire production is additionally contaminated with other chems ... ever wonder why paint buckets are dyed various colors like orange? - hides the colored re-cycles used - FDA buckets are pure virgin white ploy ....

chelloveck and DarkLight like this.
  4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I was checking some of my stored beans, rice, etc. recently and figured that I would need to replace it. But no, everything was still good. I replaced the oxygen absorbers and resealed the mylar bags. Today I have just taken delivery of some 25 year/ 1440 meal food from Legacy Foods. Now I can get some salt, coffee, tea, spices, etc.. Especially salt, a 50lb. bag is only $5-6 at the CO-OP!

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

grain , wheat berries,
    as much as you can store in no power sucking ,,,,~~~ And then in also power ones !!
    Look at posted link here

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Alcohol
    By bulk I say get everclear 191 proof in half gallon size. In NM they're only about $25.
    Enough alcohol to kill an entire village of Mormons.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    3cyl and Zimmy like this.
  7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have several 6 lb. containers of wheat berries and a grain mill.
    Chances are, I'll never use this stuff, even in a crisis. I'm thinking personal energy management and time management.
    Barter may be an option, though.

oldman11 likes this.
  8. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Since I don’t eat wheat (not a gluten problem just a wheat rash problem) I tend to store more rice, quiona and corn meal in addition to the normal beans that everyone stores. I also have many cans of freeze dried meats and veggies because I enjoy meat and veggies and use that Thrive Q system of monthly buying. I need to see if there is a LDS store in this area. Hopefully they will allow Cafeteria Catholics to patronize it. BTW nothing but love for my LDS buddies. I have never met an LDS member who was not one hell of a worker!

Brokor and oldman11 like this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I use to store just the basics, beans and rice and as I started using the stores it occurred to me that a diet of beans rice corn, boring after a while. So I looked at other ways to use and prepare food.

Made this post for sprouting because you can use wheat, sunflower seeds, buckwheat, beans any of the large storable seeds and grains can be used multiple ways.
    1) as a direct food source, ground up and baked, or
    2) sprout for more vitamines and minerals and finally
    3) save some seeds for planting later if needed.
    Sprouting- Using Stored Grain, Nuts, Seeds to Optimize Health

And to keep food from being boring I looked at what was the minimum spices to make any seasoning. That resulted in this thread
    Recipe - CONDIMENTS from scratch with shopping list
    the only two things I would add to this list that are not on it are dried bullion cubes and canned coconut milk.

And I looked at, if I didn't have it what could I trade for it. That resulted in this thread
    Poor Man's Barter Items

I think @melbo posted a thread for tracking your inventory, I modified this to suit my needs
    Food Storage Planner Spreadsheet

This is the LDS food store online
    https://store.lds.org/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=3074457345616676768&categoryId=3074457345616678849&langId=-1&storeId=10151&krypto=KCIeErfbX1tXphN1ohB37AtFzgttvte4FglrPi+Ht7QJXlrJWwCyyY4xM37gSviQmFXUPFRASEuVyCF3OoxCBhIiVYVN33Qz9qkV8uOlyUU1d4jM7NWXCg0EFfcwgduqkOnY3jRoG4WSz1heOml2W4/heg597ZPK91hjGfjhi71m7F1TCYco6hLdZ/qC5aXwGqZTCdEJDqXIBeCXb+u+fuIssw5SNi4Fkut15a7FPNg=&ddkey=https:ClickInfo

this will help you find an LDS home store near you
    Home Storage Centers to

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Brokor and mysterymet like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. RJFab
  8. duane
  9. TnAndy
  10. john316
  11. DKR
  12. DKR
  13. apache235
  14. Ganado
  15. alaskachick
  16. Motomom34
  17. Asia-Off-Grid
  18. oldman11