What Is Next..... The Modern Prep Dilemma.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

Dart you know my view on bugging out to the wilderness your greatest tool and weapon is your____________! fill the blank

Yard Dart and sec_monkey like this.
  2. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Dont say his mind....that was gone long ago. [LMAO][peep][grlft][AH][gone]

Ganado, Tully Mars, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ok, Just a NOTE here for @Yard Dart ..... Anytime you are ready, I will set you up with a 3 Night Tech License Class, and then a General License Class, down in your AoO..... I have the contacts... and know the Guys, well....

for HF and other bands, all in ONE Rig, that can be Mobile in a few minutes, if required, I really like the Kenwood B2000 Radio.... It has 100 Watts of RF on HF thru 6 Meters, and 50 Watts on VHF & UHF. It is ALL MODE, on ALL Bands. It is the Remote Head version, of the venerable Kenwood TS-2000, and has the Buiit-In HF Antenna Tuner, that will drive a 107" CB Whip Antenna on 7.00Mhz to 54Mhz with no problem when Installed for Mobile Operations.... The VHF & UHF portion functions simultaneously with the HF portion of the Radio, as well. The B2000 also has Complete Computer Control, via a Serial Port, (Kenwood (Free) & RT.com both have PC Programs that work) and can be "Opened Up" for TX/RX from DC to Light, Operations, with a simple MOD, to the Processor Board. Since I already have a Kenwood TM-D710a Vhf/Uhf 50 Watt Radio, in our Red Toyota 4X4 Pickup, I went with the TS-480 Remote Head HF - 6Meter, 100Watt Radio for the Mobile HF in the Toyota. It is still on the Test Bench, here, but will be installed, in October, when I head out, to Seattle, on vacation. Basically the B2000, is combined version of these two Radios in one. I have seen a few of these on eBay and QRZ.com for under your $1KUS limit. My $.003.... Opinion....

4. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I dunno...but a $1000 bucks still buys one a pretty decent night on the town! :D Wine, women and song should not be forgotten in our quest to be prepared! :LOL: In fact, it instills in us the very reason we should prepare! Yes, I vote for wine, women and song! :D

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Agree, one of those would do quite well for a portable station, and I have to throw the SR8 into consideration as well. The downside is that the SR8 doesn't have 6M where the 70 does. Also, I have to admit thinking used gear for the go box for AFTER I get the mobile rig sorted out which right now is taking up more time than reasonable. (Chalk it up to operator ineptitude.)

It's worth thinking about that Kenwood that BT likes as a base station. 'Tis a mite large and heavy for portable, and I dare say costs more than Yard's Colt thought. but if I was rich, I'd put my 480 in the pickup with the v71 for all band coverage and clutter only one table with the 2000 ---

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Do you have any radiation monitoring equipment?... might be nice post election regardless who wins...

AD1 likes this.
  7. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

A little more the the $1k you have but

DPMS LR-308 - Arizona guns for sale: firearms, handguns, rifles - backpage.com
    DPMS LR-308 comes with Voodoo 46 soft case. Has 24 inch 1-10 twist barrel one 20 round magazine. Bushel 4-12 TrophyXLT scope. Adjustable stock 1400$. Joe @ 928-710-6215 Call or text. I do not use email. I DO NOT need help selling. These firearms will only rise in price as Hillary's lead widens. Buy now while you still have the choice. Resonable offers considered.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Hey that's some seriously good information BT. Was looking for a "do it all" (well almost) rig to set my sights on. You probably just saved me research time.

Zimmy, GOG and Tully Mars like this.
  9. Olympic mountain man

that's funny

AD1 likes this.
  10. Olympic mountain man

I am working on my tech right now but in a bug out what would be the best option for a mobile ?

whats the price range ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2016
  11. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I love my Yaesu 857D. Mobile, base or bug out bag. Works well.

Olympic mountain man likes this.
  12. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

On the page before this one
    What Is Next..... The Modern Prep Dilemma. | Page 2 | Survival Monkey Forums

An Yaesu FT-450 ($689) or 857D ($790) I have the 857D
    Yaesu FT-450, Yaesu FT-450D Amateur Transceiver, FT450, FT450D
    Yaesu FT-857D Amateur Transceiver FT857D

Plus coax, and an antenna. You can buy or build. If you have room for a 260 -ish foot loop (think a square)20 plus feet high you can tune from 6-160 meters

With the 450 it has an internal antenna tuner the 857 does not.

Yard Dart likes this.
  13. BTPost

There are a couple of ways to go for Mobile & Portable Operations....
    1. For Mobile Vhf/Uhf, I look for a Used DualBand Mobile in the 40-50 Watt Range, and get that mounted in thy BOV, NOW...
    There are a number of Good Rigs around, by every OEM... (Kenwood, Yeasu, Alinco, Icom, and some Chinese Crap) I am most familiar with the Kenwoods. They can be "Opened Up" with a simple MOD, for Full Bandwidth TX/RX.... ANY of these also make a GREAT Portable Base Station, with the addition of a Solar/Battery Power Source, and all have Multiple Tx Power Levels that can be selected, for such a Portable Operation.
    2. For Portable/Foot Mobile Vhf/Uhf, you can go with the Big OEMs, above who ALL make DualBand Handhelds, and most can be Solar/Battery Recharged in the Field. I know the Kenwoods can be "Opened Up" just like the Kenwood Mobiles for full TX/RX Operations, and expect that the other OEMs would be similar.... Then there is the CHEAP Chinese dualBand Handhelds.... Very inexpensive in comparison, but Not near the Receiver Spec, as the OEM Stuff. These make good "Throw Away" Radios for the Kids, and others who might be associated with your Group, and if the lose, or Break them, not a big Monetary Loss....
    3. Then there is the iDen/ISm Secure Comms.... UpDate... | Survival Monkey Forums ... These are cheap, and offer Basic local AO SECURE Communications. With Sim Cards, installed, and proper Setup, they can be Individually Setup for SECURE Comms, on a Unit to Unit Basis, as well as a SECURE Squad Comms basis. Without a Simm Card, they are strictly a SECUE Squad Comms, only.... These have a limited range in the Wet RainForest environment , likely less that a Mile, but when out in the clear, or MountainTop, they will have a similar range with the FRS/GMRS Radios. These make GREAT SECURE Comms, for Tactical Comms, within a local AO.

When looking at HF Mobile, and Portable, Operations using a General Class Ham License, there are a number of factors to consider. First is Antennas.... HF requires a much more involved Antenna System, that a simple Whip Antenna that VHF/UHF work with. Antenna efficiency is critical for HF Operations, and Mobile/Portable Antennas are Not near as efficient as Good Base Station type Antennas are. Whole Books have been written on these factors, and it is a very DEEP Subject. I outlined in an ABOVE Post what I am planning to use for HF Mobile, as well as What I would have Used if I had thought the Issue all the way thru, in the/first Place. NOTE, here: HF Isn't Cheap to do.... For Portable Operations, I like the idea of a Vehicle Mounted HF Radio, that can be connected to a Base Station type Antenna. (MultiBand Dipole stung up thru the Tree Tops) If a further Bug Out is needed, IN A HURRY, you can just disconnect and Drive Off, and leave the Antenna behind... but still have your Vehicle mounted Antenna for HF Comms. Also if you use a Remote Head, HF Radio, you can move the Control Head, Speaker & Mic, away from the Vehicle, on wire, strung thru the woods to you Base Camp and if someone is DF'ing your HF Comms, you have a short window, to get ready for a CounterStrike, once your Vehicle is located. You will also know which direction they will be coming from, as they will be following the wire, thru the woods. Remoting the Control Head can be a few thousand feet if done right....

Yard Dart and 3M-TA3 like this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Hunker down unless forced into a bug out situation. ;)

GOG and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

You sir, are a bad influence.... [chopper]

16. ghrit

The absolute least expensive option I can think of that can legally be used by a Tech ticket holder is a dual band hand held with an adaptor that goes to a mag mount. Here, we differentiate between portable and mobile. In fact, for starters, I used a Kenwood TF6a (5w max) with just the included rubber duckie (without the mag mount) for several months when within range of the local repeaters. The mag mount definitely extended my range.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    DarkLight and Yard Dart like this.
  17. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Ditto on the hand-held with a mag mount antenna. You can, if you try, do all of that for under $50, radio and all.

I have both a Wouxun and a Boefang. They are limited to 5W output but you would be amazed at how far away I can hit a repeater with only 5W. The mag mount antenna makes all the difference in the world.

Yes, it's cheap. Yes, it's inexpensive (not the same as cheap). No, I don't want to trust my life to it (which is why I need to pay a friend for his 50W 2M that he "loaned" me and get it in the damned truck!). Could I if I had to? Yeah, I really could. I have no less than 3 battery packs for each and the ability to run them off of the car battery via lighter socket as well as an AA battery pack for both. I even made a sleeve di-pole out of about $15 worth of PVC, aluminum tape and coax (coax is getting EXPENSIVE unless you buy in bulk). With the sleeve di-pole I hit repeaters that are 15, 18 and 27 miles away as the crow flies. Signal Quality reports have been anywhere from 488 (or 48) to 599 (or 59) with the sleeve di-pole and the mag-mount.

RST code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. ghrit

Summa U guies might be unaware --(but I doubt it.) Some say that HAM stands for "have alotta money." Whether you spend it all at once or over a lifetime, there are nearly capital expenditures to be made if you lean toward the fancy. Meaning you can go to the grocery store in a beetle or a Bentley, what ever fits your wallet. You WILL at some point make an ill advised buy, then sweat out how to recover the expense. You won't recover it all, just be aware of the potential. If money were no object, I'd have a 50 foot tower out in the yard --

GOG, BTPost and AD1 like this.
  19. BTPost

I have a pair of 50Ft Towers out in the Back 40, that I have never put up.... To lazy, I guess.... Found my 140Ft Dipole stung between a 60ft Tower and a 80ft Spruce Tree (that I put up the Second Day I lived here) always worked well enough.... along with the 5BTV vertical that uses the Cabin's, Galvanized Steel Roof for an RF Ground, for the Backup Antenna & Radio... (Which I out put the First Day, i lived here) and that was back in '91....

GOG and AD1 like this.
  20. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

They worked well enough for me to have a QSO with you a few years back.

BTPost likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34