Answers to SM Anniversary Trivia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Jul 2, 2015.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No worries, Kell. That one went past me completely.

kellory likes this.
  2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That's too bad...They are really good people

Tracy likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

...and where OPSEC rules, and distances between posters exist, just how would someone "new" ever learn that? I doubt I have spoken directly with Tracy more than a dozen times, and Colt perhaps thrice. How does one make more than just an impression from that alone.(and a few posts)?

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Trivia Question 7 - July 7, 2015
    Who was the member who thought we all needed saving so he joined, got banned, joined under another name, got banned, another new name, got banned - about 20 times

Answer: DavidMabus

I can't post anything from this particular character because all of his posts were deleted but he's an infamous cyberstalker and religious zealot. He was a challenge to the mods and admins as we tried to catch him as soon as he opened our door but sometimes, he was able to sneak in and post his own special brand of religion (with a small r)

You can read a little about him at the following address: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dennis_Markuze

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. RightHand

Trivia Question 8 - July 8, 2015
    What rules of debate are often referenced on SM when discussion gets a little heated

Answer: Jeffersonian Rules of Debate - The Mannerly Art of disagreement

I. INTRODUCTION
    Among the greatest problems faced in a public forum is how participants may disagree without descending into either personal attacks or not-so-witty one-line repartee. There are certain "rules of engagement," if you will, which can prevent name calling and other debate no-nos.

But first, we must dispel the myth that polite equals namby-pamby. In fact, it is possible to disagree--even to disagree significantly--in a civil manner. Disagreement is never comfortable, but if we refrain from permitting it to become a war (or, on the internet, a flamewar) we might learn something and keep our blood pressure down at the same time.

Disagreement can be fruitful. But it will be fruitful only so long as certain guidelines are followed.

Sapper John, kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  6. RightHand

Trivia Question 9 - July 9, 2015
    Through through the years, which thread has entertained us with stories of the logic and thought process of a 5 year old, among other things

Answer: Clyde's Useless Observations of the Day

Some of Clyde's observations were priceless, such as this one:

Observation: 5 year old boys are a real trip.

Commentary: This beautiful weekend meant all the kids in the neighborhood were playing outside -- sprinklers running, water guns, and hoses to spray each other. My son and his friend were partaking in all this under minimal parental observation. About 1 hour into the play afternoon, a neighbor girl who was playing my daughter came up to me, "Excuse me, Mr. Smith, the boys are peeing in the bucket on the front lawn. Do you allow that?" Time for Dad to check out.

Apparently, they boys were making a potion with a 5 gallon bucket, a running water hose, red food coloring (from a water gun), sand, matchbox cars, and pee. It wouldn't have been so bad if they were mixing the potion with a stick, but their arms were up to their shoulders mixing away. They were serious and not laughing about what they had done.

I asked if they had peed in the bucket to which they both responded honestly as if nothing was out of the ordinary.."Yes. We were making a potion." Can you really get mad at them for being honest? I corrected them on the pee thing and was informed by my son that he pees under the deck when no one is around so he doesn't have to go all the way inside. He then asks if I peed outside. Of course!

Conclusion: 5 year olds are fun and make me laugh all the time.

7. RightHand

Trivia Question 10 - July 10, 2015
    What is the longest running active thread on SM

Answer: This Thread Will Never Die

This thread was started by Quigley_Sharps on August 5, 2005, just as Survival Monkey was being opened to the public. Its been an interesting place for random thoughts. To open the thread, he posted " Just post any random thought you have.Anything, just out of the blue, will do.I've always wanted to make a thread like this.One that would stay up for like a year :lol: or more.

KEEP IT CLEAN!!!!! and HAVE FUN!"

Here we are 10 years later and it is still going strong

8. RightHand

Trivia Question 11 - July 11, 2015
    Survivalmonkey has over 11,000 member, many of whom are true characters. Which of these characters drove an old Cadillac hearse and lived on a houseboat?

Answer: Seacowboys

9. RightHand

Trivia Question 12 - July 12, 2015
    We know Bear as our premier knife smith but we had another member who started making knives and gave us a photo tour of his garage shop and a step by step photo tutorial of the process of making a knife. Bear was certainly this mentor and cheerleader but we all enjoyed watching him learn the skill and trade. Who was the member who learned knife smithing and what was the tutorial thread?

Answer: The member was Valkman and the thread was "Making of a Knife" in the Blade Forum. Valkman included lot of photos of the step by step operation. Its a great learning tool.

"This is how I make a knife in my garage/shop. First, I lay out the steel to be used. I used to buy 4" wide steel and then had to spend hours on the metal bandsaw. Now I buy 1 1/4" wide steel, and just mark out the knife and start profiling. See I can learn!"

Quigley_Sharps and Yard Dart like this.
  10. RightHand

Trivia Question 13 - July 13, 2015
    In what forum can you find a thread on making aspirin and from what can you make it aspirin?

Answer: Back to Basics forum - Making Aspirin from Tree Bark

11. RightHand

Trivia Question 14 - July 14, 2015
    Which member relocated from TN to OR to begin a completely new career?

Answer: melbo

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  12. RightHand

Trivia Question 15 - July 15, 2015
    What famous Rock band counted Mortimer Adler Moose as a founding member

Answer:
    moose37.

As Moose said ....
    "I don't usually talk about this painful period in my life but yes, I was one of the original Kisses. In fact, it was my idea to hide our identities with makeup. I figured that if no one was be able to distinguish one member from the other, all the egos would be kept in check. You know that old saying that some pigs are more equal than others? Well, the same can be said about Kisses. I was clearly the most talented member of the ensemble which resulted in a lot animosity from the other Kisses. I was the silk to their hemp and they all knew it. Eventually,I got the big Kiss off by none other than the big Kisser himself, Gene. We haven't spoken in years after that particularly crude smack in the face.Oh, I still hum a tune now and then but it's just not the same as when you have 5 Kisses in one. Life goes on"

Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  13. RightHand

Trivia Question 16 - July 16, 2015
    What do the following threads have in common?
    1. Gear Review 100% Wool Blankets (Master Listing) - Brokor
    2. The Word Association Game - 13BRAVO
    3. So what did you put away this week? - melbo
    4. Motivational Poster Thread (warning content) - Quigley_Sharps

Answer: All have over 100,000 views
    1. Gear Review 100% Wool Blankets (Master Listing) - Brokor - 100,835
    2. The Word Association Game - 13BRAVO - 150,928
    3. So what did you put away this week? - melbo - 173,850
    4. Motivational Poster Thread (warning content) - Quigley_Sharps - 452,327

14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

And here I thought the answer would have been..... you learn something new everyday. ;)
    Mississippi River Crooks | ReverbNation

RightHand likes this.
  15. RightHand

No, Moose broke into the business with Gene and company and MRC brought him on years later after he had honed his instrumental performance skills. Unfortunately his vocals are not up to MRC's standards.

ghrit and Yard Dart like this.
  16. RightHand

Trivia Question 16 - July 16, 2015 - part 2

Match the Thread to the Forum where it can be found
    ANSWER:
    Forums:
    1. Articles
    2. General survival and Preparedness
    3. Survival Medicine
    4. Off Grid Living
    5. Back to Basics
    6. Freedom and Liberty

Threads:
    1. What to do if a Nuclear Disaster is Imminent - ANSWER: 1 - Articles -
    2. The Constitution - ANSWER: 6 - Freedom and Liberty
    3. Emergency field dental skills - ANSWER: Survival Medicine
    4. Colonial Gunsmithing - ANSWER: Back to Basics
    5. Building Better Bug-Out-Bags - ANSWER: General Survival and Preparedness
    6. In Case Of Emergency Radio Show - ANSWER: General Survival and Preparedness
    7. Aquaponics System - ANSWER: Off Grid Living

Yard Dart likes this.
  17. RightHand

Trivia Question 17 - July 17, 2015 Part 1
    What is a favorite meeting place where you can find at least a couple of members meeting up once or twice a year?

Answer: Knob Creek Machine gun shoot

I guess this was way to easy because it was answered correctly within minutes by our Trivia champ to date, Mountainman

Knob Creek Video

Resize1.

Yard Dart likes this.
  18. RightHand

Trivia Question 17 - July 17, 2015 Part 2
    Anyone remember who was titled our "Renegade Administrator"

Answer: Quigley_Sharps, AKA Badministrator

Quigley_Sharps and Yard Dart like this.
  19. RightHand

Trivia Question 18 Part 1 - July 18, 2015
    Where on SM might you find handbooks and manuals on everything from wild plants to a variety of firearms?

Answer: Resources

Trivia Question 18 - July 18, 2015 - Part 2
    In What thread will you find the words "Avoid being vulnerable" repeated over and over?

Answer: Personal Safety Information

20. RightHand

Trivia Question 19 - July 19, 2015
    Name a Forum that disappeared this year when it was merged with another

Answer: Clucking Hens, merged with Humor and Jokes

Yard Dart likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7